• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Preferred Operating System

What is your preferred operating system

• Windows (Any Version)

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Mac (Any Version)

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Linux (Any Version)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other (Please List)

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

I like my Kenwood 430 for phone, it beats the crap out of my 706MKIIG on RX.

I use the Icom for digital modes, primarily PSK31.

For VHF/UHF FM, the Yaesu 8100 works like a charm, I think I'll give packet a try with it.

Crap, I just saw the poll.:blush:

I use XP Pro and I'm giving Ubuntu a try on one desktop and my laptop.

I have three at home using XP and one using the Linux, Linux on the laptop.

The dedicated radio computer uses XP Pro with HRD and Digipan.

Diversity, Brother...

... Of course, I can not pick a preferred operating system, because I use different operating systems for different purposes.

For everyday use? Windows XP Pro, SP3 with about 250 Megabytes of updates and patches.
Runs everything, runs for months on end. Just runs. Has drivers for (or will support w/o teeth pulling) just about every damn piece of hardware you could dream of.

Other operating systems with which I am comfortable:

AIX
HP-UX
MPE-IX
MVS
OS/400
"Classic" MAC OS
MAC OS/X
LINUX (All 3000 Distributions of said religion)
OS/2
DOS
Windows (since version 1.0)
VMS
PICK (look it up)
z/OS

Remember, Operating Systems are nothing more than a TOOL. Choose the proper tool for the job, in a model you like. An Operating System IS NOT a RELIGION, much to the chagrin of Linux-lovers everywhere.

I like my Kenwood 430 for phone, it beats the crap out of my 706MKIIG on RX.

I use the Icom for digital modes, primarily PSK31.

For VHF/UHF FM, the Yaesu 8100 works like a charm, I think I'll give packet a try with it.

Crap, I just saw the poll.:blush:

:D I was just thinking, WTF does that reply have to do with the question. :LOL:

LMA:LOL:!! @ QRN it still kills me to read that reply its funny because i did the poll then got to that reply and had to back up to make sure I didnt miss read something and answer it goofy LMAO!!!

No big deal just an honest mistake Ive done it before but dammit its funny.

LMA:LOL:!! @ QRN it still kills me to read that reply its funny because i did the poll then got to that reply and had to back up to make sure I didnt miss read something and answer it goofy LMAO!!!

At least my stupidity was worthy of a LOL.

I value that.:LOL:(y):D

Windows XP or Windows 98. I use Windows 98 for running DOS programs but if I could find drivers for some of the other computers I have I would run it every day.

I did have a HP pavilion with a 1Ghz pentium and 384Mb of ram running Windows 98 and it would run circles around my newer HP with a 2.9 Ghz pentium and 512Mb of ram. The one running 98 ended up getting turned into a server running linux though as it was missing a few drivers and was only good for surfing.

The thing that makes windows better than the rest though in my opinion is that damn near everything it meant to run on it and its much easier to get programs and drivers for it.

Anybody that says they have never done the same thing before is a liar. It happens to all of us at one time or another, myself included. :D It's even better when you only half hear a question and give a totally "out there" answer and then see the look on other people's faces. Then you know you have made a total ass of yourself. :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.