• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pride DX300 basket case. No, maybe more like body-bag case.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
You've heard the term "basket case", disassembled parts in a basket. I'd call this one a "body bag" case. A customer gave me the thing. Thank you "R".

Honest.

fnNVDb.jpg

Turns out someone had attempted to make it a two-tube amplifier. Must not have turned out too well. It got disassembled about as far as it can be. Plugging the hole where the second socket goes won't be that tough. I have all the parts that are missing but one. A tube socket that fits this chassis is on the way from RF Parts Inc. Had that exact socket in stock for over twenty years. Oddly enough, I used it for a repair job a few months back. And yes, it will have only one tube when I'm done with it.

It did come with the cabinet top. Just wouldn't fit in the first pic.

8CHzIc.jpg

Normally this kind of project could end up on a back burner for years. But I need decent detailed pictures of my HV-transformer substitute hookup. Don't want to try selling it without sufficiently-detailed instructions. It's a substitute, not the original type HV transformer. More than a few things get altered to install it. But getting those pics is an incentive that might goose this project to completion before the Greenland glaciers melt.

Maybe.

We'll see.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
My luck improved today, package arrived from RF Parts Inc.

Got two, one for stock and one for the rebuild.

eXq77a.jpg

And if you ever find yourself in this spot, here's the correct type number. There are plenty of sockets for this tube that you would have to adapt. This is the one the chassis is punched to accept directly.

mpjScq.jpg

More to come.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Only boring stuff to do so far. The rear panel looks more like a swiss cheese. Every hole had something in it once upon a time. Only some of them are original.

KwRmZq.jpg

This small(er) toroid transformer will supply filament, bias and relay power. Can't lay it flat, not enough room on the deck. Standing it up where it will barely fit requires a bracket.

jplnq8.jpg

Did it this way a few years ago. Not sure I like this bracket.

dx300lvantekinplacesm.jpg

I won't be putting it back together with self-tapping sheet-metal screws like it was built with. Where I can back up a machine nut, a machine screw will do. Blind fasteners, like the cover screws need a machine thread in the form of an insert.

6WfIpc.jpg

These aluminum "rivet nuts" get planted with a tool that resembles a pop-rivet gun, but with a threaded mandrel to engage the insert.

W8mBqO.jpg

This is what it looks like inside, once installed.

waMv0H.jpg

There are two types in a previous pic. The conventional insert has a ring around the hole, raises a bump in the panel surface. The package that says "near flush" is what I'm using for the bottom cover. It has to seal in the pressurized air from the blower, so this should improve the fit.

eUJmmg.jpg

Found one boo-boo I need to fix so far.

KbJUzJ.jpg

The wear ring around the socket marks the outline of the ceramic chimney. It fits over the tube to direct airflow through the tube's fins. But it won't quite sit flat on these screw heads. Gonna need to countersink these four holes and use flat head screws.

Oops.

Now if I could only track down the guy who sold us the printed vinyl face decal for the last rebuild we sold off. The face on this one is rough.

So far, so good.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    2022 Aug 08 0839 UTC EXTENDED WARNING: Geomagnetic K-index of 5 expected Extension to Serial Number: 1656 Valid From: 2022 Aug 07 1428 UTC ... Now Valid Until: 2022 Aug 08 1500 UTC ...Warning Condition: Persistence
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 60 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude. Induced Currents - Weak power grid fluctuations can occur. Spacecraft - Minor impact on satellite operations possible. Aurora - Aurora may be visible at high latitudes, i.e., northern tier of the U.S. such as northern Michigan and Maine.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    A Index = 24:mad: almost Blackout level...sig/noise ratio F'd up