• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Problem with SWR

chec0

Feb 18, 2007
Massachusetts
First post and kinda a noob with radios at the time being but im learning
Ok my question is i got a magnet mount wilson 1000 in center on my pickup roof i got a SWR of 2.1 on 1 and 2.5 on 40 and the stinger is up as far as it will go so do i need a longer whip??? i think the stonger is 60in.(its my bridge finder:LOL: ) but dont quote me on that ill measure in the morning

thanks in advance

Your installation sounds like a simple one, so:

Is the antenna new and the stinger the stock one that came with it? It should be long enough if it is stock.

Your meter might be off, especially if it is part of the radio. Try a different meter.

If it is still off and before you buy a longer stinger, take a length of c0pper wire about 2 inches long and wrap about an inch of it tightly around the top of the stinger and leave about an inch sticking straight up. Re-measure the SWR and see if it came down. If the wire is too long, your readings will reverse and be better on Channel 1 than 40. If it improves, then you need a longer stinger

Gud luk

Rich

"SWR of 2.1 on 1 and 2.5 on 40........"

the antenna is already too long........

if the swr is higher on 1 than on 40, lengthen it
if the swr is higher on 40 than on 1, shorten it.
make sure you recalibrate the meter every time you check swr from one end of the band to the other and make sure you use only the minimum amount of power necessary to calibrate the swr meter for maximum accuracy.

your swr is higher on 40 than it is on 1, it's still too long. if you're cutting try a quarter of an inch at a time so the swr doesn't flip flop from cutting too much off. that way if you go past the required point there will be enough adjustment range to pull it back up/out slightly to backtrack.

freecell said:
"SWR of 2.1 on 1 and 2.5 on 40........"

the antenna is already too long........

You're right, freecell. I guess I was looking at it upside down through the bottom of my glass of Wild Turkey 101. :roll:

chec0:

If you will turn my previous post over, you will find that freecell and I agree. :D

Rich

Freecell: the antenna is used but the stinger was never cut
I have used 2 different meters i wont even bother with the meter on the radio cause its way off
i also tryed a shorter whip before i cut the wilson one the other stinger was a 48in i belive and the SWR went to 3.5 on 1 and smae on 40 so when i start cutting it down how much do i cut at a time is it 1.16th on an in???

thanks
chec0

I think I'd cut more than 1/16" per cut, maybe 1/4". I'd also set the stinger as far into the mount as it would go each time. That way, when you've made that last cut, and gone slightly too far, you could raise the stinger in the mount and sort of 'un-do' that last cut. The only 'trick' is in not going too far to start with. Good luck...
- 'Doc

because i got guys around here pegging my meter and i gotta smack the radio to get it back down :LOL: and i also have had 2 different meters tell me a reading for SWR and the radio meter tells me more and i mean alot more like the 2.1 i have it shows a 3.5 on the radio

i got a 1000 mag mount so whatever that coax is and than the meter ive been using is a buddys and i dont know what kind of coax it is just know its 3 feet and black:)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated