• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Problems with NEW RCI 2970n2..

Mr. Doug

Jan 13, 2009
Boise, Idaho
I have questions concerning Amp draw from power supply with 2970n2.. how many amps does your draw at 200 watts out on AM and SSB? Thanks in advance :headbang

The 2970 dx I sold to Chop drew over 20 amps wide open. i even called the supplier to be sure as my 25 amp supply couldnt keep up. It was fine though. Just takes a lot of power to run.

PR

Ok, then why is my radio drawing 49 amps out on 240 watts? I have 2970n2 with mofsets.. on SSB it should only be drawing 18 amps at 200 watts according to what you said... what gives.. ??? is something wrong inside my radio.. it would make sense if mine at 200 watts drew only max 30 amps.. why is mine at 200 amps on SSB with Mofsets drawing so many AMPS??? Pleae help LOL.. I can't figure it out..

Ok, then why is my radio drawing 49 amps out on 240 watts? I have 2970n2 with mofsets.. on SSB it should only be drawing 18 amps at 200 watts according to what you said... what gives.. ??? is something wrong inside my radio.. it would make sense if mine at 200 watts drew only max 30 amps.. why is mine at 200 amps on SSB with Mofsets drawing so many AMPS??? Pleae help LOL.. I can't figure it out..
You're more than likely experiencing stray rf getting into the line feeding your amperage meter.

200/13.8=14.5 amps so peaks may be around 18 amps.

49x13.8= 676 watts so do you think the radio is making that power?

on a 70 amp power supply..(Astron) this radio does 315 watts SSB and draws 55 amps..go figure.. it should what draw max of 40 or so amps at the output?

on a 70 amp power supply..(Astron) this radio does 315 watts SSB and draws 55 amps..go figure.. it should what draw max of 40 or so amps at the output?
Mine also draws the full 46 amps that my supply will deliver, not good, the finals wouldn't last long that way.
You need to have the gate voltage checked, when brought down to the properly voltage you should be able to see around 225 on SSB and run the radio with a 36 amp PS.

I just sent mine off to DTB Radio this week to have him set mine properly.

Actually, a lot of these radio are coming out doing 300 + watts and several guys that I have talked to, are having to use a 60/70 amp PS.

The Mosfets are not lasting long at the high output, so they need to be turned down. If the mosfets blow under warranty, their fixed. But from what I understand Ranger will tell you to send the radio to a warranty repair station and YOU might have to pay the bill, if you want it turned down before it blows up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated