• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question about coax

KQ9U

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 8, 2010
Indiana
My Yaesu FT-7900R is supposed to be delivered today. And My Arrow J Pole antenna is also supposed to arrive today. But my cable I ordered probably won't arrive for several days.

Would it be safe for me to check out my new radio with a piece of RG-58? I have a short piece of RG-58 that I use for checking the SWR of CBs. Would that work with my 2 meter radio just for me to check out the radio?

Or should I wait for the coax I ordered?

Hi Wooden Frog.
As you know any coax is ok for RX.
As with any coax as well, as long as the SWR is ok you should be fine.
Go for it and check it out.
Keep the TX short until the SWR is established to be ok.
Use the lowest power available for your tests.
Check for a clear frequency and call out your call sign followed by"this is a test"
Complete your test by clearing the frequency again with your call sign and "Test complete"

Have fun

tracker.

Hi Wooden Frog.
As you know any coax is ok for RX.

To a point, that is true. However, attenuation losses and impedance mismatch losses still accrue and are more critical for good RX as on TX power can be increased to compensate for the losses. Not so for RX. "You can't work 'em if you can't hear 'em."

As with any coax as well, as long as the SWR is ok you should be fine.

It is possible for a coax to have enough loss over its length to present an acceptable SWR and yet all the power is lost in the coax. A 50 ohm dummy load also presents an acceptable SWR, but does not radiate as well as an antenna. For background, an excellent reference is Walt Maxwell's, W2DU, Reflections III (available from CQ Communications), the chapter titled, "Too Low an SWR Can Kill You".

For mobile use at frequencies below 450 MHz, good quality RG-58 type coax is an acceptable trade-off between ease of installation and performance. At lengths of less than 15 feet (typical for most mobile installations) the loss will be much less than 3 dB at 70cm (remember that each dB is a factor of approximately 1.26 and that a rule of thumb is that 3 dB represents a halving or doubling of power).

For home use and any run over 20 feet or so, look for the lowest loss cable you can afford. At a minimum, for a run less than 100 feet, RG-213 type cable is adequate.

Times Microwave makes some excellent cable that approaches hard line in its performance but proper connector installation may require some special tools that nearly double the cost of the coax run! If you're going to make multiple installations, the tools will pay for themselves over time. Or a group could buy a set and share them.

An alternative is Belden 9913 which is an air dielectric cable but beware! It must be sealed very well to prevent water ingress and migration.

If your run is between 100 and 250 feet or so, then 1/2" Heliax starts to look attractive and the connectors can be installed with some simple hand tools.

There are many choices, but the goal for good performance at VHF and above is to obtain the lowest loss you can afford. As Tracker says, "Have fun".

And to answer your original question, there will be no harm using the RG-58 to test so long as the Arrow antenna is presenting an impedance near 50 ohms (between 25 and 100 is fine) which it should since those are pre-cut as I recall.

Thanks for the info guys. I passed the test for technician class but haven't received notification what my call sign is yet. So I won't transmit anything. I just want to listen to see what I receive.

I've got a piece of RG-58 that is about 2 foot long which I used for checking the SWR on a CB radio. Is that too short for listening to the radio with when hooked up to the antenna?

The coax I have coming is 65 feet of LMR-400. I imagine that should provide a good signal when I get my antenna installed shouldn't it?

You tell us. How convenient is it going to be to use 2 ft. of cable between the radio and the antenna? :whistle:

I just figured I'd sit the antenna on the bench behind the radio and connect the ends of the connector. :D

Maybe I should get a bigger piece of coax, eh?

I would think that if you are just "seeing if it works", almost anything will work okay, RG-58 included. Two feet is kind'a short for any practical use, and if you were going to make a habit of it, I think you'd change your mind shortly, you know? (And I think you -do- know.)
I also think you are aware that RG-58 just isn't the 'best' choice for feed line at VHF/UHF, it's just too lossy at those frequencies. That doesn't mean you can't use it though. I happen to be using RG-58 for two VHF/UHF antenna feed lines. Not because I want to, but because that's all I happened to have at the time. It's performance is 'acceptable' for what I use it for. It's also on the list of things to make "more better" in the future.
Treat it like you would for CB feed lines, make sure it's SWR is acceptable, and have at it! Just make sure you don't touch that antenna when "trying it out", it's 'bite' you! You have the opportunity to see just how much crumby feed lines, indoor antennas, etc, can affect things after getting that new feed line! (That's really a 'stretch', but hey, it's all relative, right?) Go for it!
And have fun!
- 'Doc

I would think that if you are just "seeing if it works", almost anything will work okay, RG-58 included. Two feet is kind'a short for any practical use, and if you were going to make a habit of it, I think you'd change your mind shortly, you know? (And I think you -do- know.)
I also think you are aware that RG-58 just isn't the 'best' choice for feed line at VHF/UHF, it's just too lossy at those frequencies. That doesn't mean you can't use it though. I happen to be using RG-58 for two VHF/UHF antenna feed lines. Not because I want to, but because that's all I happened to have at the time. It's performance is 'acceptable' for what I use it for. It's also on the list of things to make "more better" in the future.
Treat it like you would for CB feed lines, make sure it's SWR is acceptable, and have at it! Just make sure you don't touch that antenna when "trying it out", it's 'bite' you! You have the opportunity to see just how much crumby feed lines, indoor antennas, etc, can affect things after getting that new feed line! (That's really a 'stretch', but hey, it's all relative, right?) Go for it!
And have fun!
- 'Doc

OK, thanks. I found another piece of RG-58 in my box of "stuff" that's a little over 3 feet. I checked it out with my ohm meter and it checks OK.

FedEx just brought my antenna and I put it together. UPS is supposed to deliver my radio today too. They usually come sometime in the afternoon. I'll lean the antenna up against the wall and have the radio in front. I won't be keying it yet until I find out what my call sign is. I passed the test last Tuesday and I'm anxious to give it a whirl.

Yeah, I know that RG-58 isn't the best coax to use. I've got some LMR-400 ordered. Probably won't receive it until after Christmas.

Now I have a question about my J Pole antenna.

I got a 20 piece of RG-8 and ran it up into my antenna. and I climbed up there and hooked my antenna up. But it is too long to go all the way vertical. It's canted about 25 degrees from being perpendicular to the horizon.

Will that have a significant effect on reception?

That's a hard one to answer. It will affect things to some degree, but shouldn't stop you from talking to people. One thing you might try is to 'adjust' the direction of that tilt (if possible). I wouldn't expect that to be all that 'desirable' an idea, but it might help. I think you'll find that there's always going to be some variations from doing things really 'right', or the 'best' way, that's about as 'normal' as it get's. The best 'right way' of doing things is the one that 'works' for your situation. You could always paint the @#$ thing pink, that never hurts...
- 'Doc

That's a hard one to answer. It will affect things to some degree, but shouldn't stop you from talking to people. One thing you might try is to 'adjust' the direction of that tilt (if possible). I wouldn't expect that to be all that 'desirable' an idea, but it might help. I think you'll find that there's always going to be some variations from doing things really 'right', or the 'best' way, that's about as 'normal' as it get's. The best 'right way' of doing things is the one that 'works' for your situation. You could always paint the @#$ thing pink, that never hurts...
- 'Doc

Thanks. I'll try out different things until I get the best signal.

It's going to be at least a couple of months until the weather will be accommodation for me+
op[]\ to get up on the roof. Too much ice and snow up there now. It would be too dangerous.

They say an antenna will play better when you put them up in the worst weather......

That's what they say but I think it's just the fact that you appreciate it more once the job is finally done. :D I know I have put some antennas up in some pretty bad weather and was pretty thankfull when they finally worked.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?