• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question for the brain trust

Unit 148

Unit 148 Mobile CYPRUS
Sep 29, 2010
London, UK
www.transmittersrus.com
If you have 16 matched output transistors in a push pull PA can you optimise bias with a single pot

as in my amp here;
Metron3.jpg

or is there an advantage in being able to set the bias to each pair of devices?

Phil
Unit 148

there may be a small advantage if you feed each pair with an active regulated and thermal tracked bias circuit,
with a single bias supply using exactly matched devices you will still have a slight inballance of idle currents anytime there is a thermal differential across the heatsink where the transistors are bolted,
i doubt it will sound any better unless the stock circuit is crap.

Unless you mount a thermistor to EACH device, or pair of devices, you won't gain much by setting the bias independently... The reason being, you will be tracking HEAT SINK temp, which is a culmination of ALL of the transistors.

That being said, I do put a single 6A10 from the bias buss to each transistor pair. This keeps one CB shorted transistor from taking out 8 (I have 2 banks of 8, each bank of 8 is individually biased, only because I could only source 5A CCS regulators).

--Toll_Free

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.