• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

question?????????

embalmer42

Apr 5, 2005
texas
if export radios are illlegal in the u.s. how do they get here!!

i know this is a dumb question but i really dont understand.

thanks
bobby :?

They are manufactured here. They are called exports because they are supposed to be manufactured here, than exported. If they were manufactured outside the U.S., they would be called imports :)

Not trying to be smart, but there are few if any radios made in the US, I think Ten tec are the only ones. I may be wrong but anyway the radios in question are imported mostly from China to dealers here in the US and are only legal to be exported or resold to other countrys, this is how they get them past customs. They are not supposed to be offered for sale in this country hence the export only or shortened to export radio.

I was wrong. Some of the radios are made outside the U.S. Many are made outside the U.S. but assembled in the U.S. and than stamped made in the U.S.

I thought Galaxy was assembled in California?

yeah it would be nice to buy a quality us made radio. but they don't seem to exist anymore. i still have an old 23 ch. lafeyette in real good shape that actually still works great. to me that is quality i have an old (malaysia) 148 that i am going to attempt to restore this winter it's definately better than the new chinese made radios.

Export/Chinese made radio's

Ten Tec and Drake are made in TN and Ohio, I have a common sense solution to the CB "freeband" problem and poorly built export crap BUT it will never fly! Expand the CB/11m band from 26.000 to 28.000 and divide it into 2 sections - 26.000 to 26.995 would be AM only and 27.005 to 27.995 SSB only, make these rigs here in the USA and get a American Co. to make them and make them to TX a peak of 50w AM and 100w SSB and so that they cannot TX SSB on the AM band and AM on the SSB band. Make them impossible to go below 26 or above 28 mhz. Add any amount of money and manpower the FCC needs to hunt down EVERY importer of the cheaply made export crap and shut them down.! This way we get higher quality radio gear at lower prices and they'd be legal and the only problem is the HAMS would go into fits and convulsions over this plan!!

Galaxy Radios are not assembled in California.
No CB Related Radios are made here. Only Ten Tec Ham Rigs are.

I still say that better radios are the answer to many problems, if we had tighter better filtered radios we could have 80 channels on the bandwidth that is in use now. Why not build a cb with 5 khz steps with fm on say 20, am on 30 and ssb on 30 channels, an honest to goodness radio instead of this echo, talkback, reverb, bluelight garbage that these export, roger beeped junk has, and while we are at it make it murs capable thats 5 more freqs. When we get this thing built lets take it to uncle charley and tell him this is what we want for christmas forget the big power demands or wants thats not where its at anyway, if you have conditions 12 watts will take you around the world, and if you don't 12 thousand won't. Think about it, no new freqs just better using the ones we got, that is a win ,win, for everybody cber and ham alike.

Now CWM what you think about that idea?

Don't be mess'n with the blue light specials...Dems are like the sprinkles on a single scoop :twisted:

Re: Export/Chinese made radio's

Watchman76 said:
Ten Tec and Drake are made in TN and Ohio, I have a common sense solution to the CB "freeband" problem and poorly built export crap BUT it will never fly! Expand the CB/11m band from 26.000 to 28.000 and divide it into 2 sections - 26.000 to 26.995 would be AM only and 27.005 to 27.995 SSB only, make these rigs here in the USA and get a American Co. to make them and make them to TX a peak of 50w AM and 100w SSB and so that they cannot TX SSB on the AM band and AM on the SSB band. Make them impossible to go below 26 or above 28 mhz. Add any amount of money and manpower the FCC needs to hunt down EVERY importer of the cheaply made export crap and shut them down.! This way we get higher quality radio gear at lower prices and they'd be legal and the only problem is the HAMS would go into fits and convulsions over this plan!!

You're right! Won't fly! FCC doesn't control *most* of that, and particularly 26 MHZ. That is military and, yes, it IS used; it just may not be voice. Mil comms often use spread spectrum and frequency-hopping modes. There ARE military agencies that DO use that area, and if you were to mess up a rescue mission, there'd be h** to pay. It HAS happened before and the fella that was on 26 MHZ got a huge fine for it.

Also, AM uses up a lot of space --around 6 KHZ--and it is the reason for the 10 KHZ spacing in the first place. SSB? Mmmmm, maybe

While it may be frustrating because CB only has 40 channels and 4 watts, we aren't seeing that there ARE reasons why it is set up the way it is--tunnel vision because of the vested interest in ONE radio service; *My* radio is more important than any other consideration and the h** with anyone else. The philosophy of other radio services and the regulatory agencies see the thing from a totally different view.
CB thinks, well, I don't *hear* anything on them channels, I can't see why I can't talk on 'em. I ain't hurtin' anything.
How do YOU know you aren't? Just because you *think* there's nothing on there doesn't mean there isn't. CB is geared to voice and unaccustomed to other modes like morse, teletype, and Pactor. So while someone is "ratchetjawin'", he hears "Brrrrrrrrrrrup" and thinks it's just noise. But that 50 watts of voice is causing the receiver's printer or screen to "skip" letters, or whole phrases. Basically, you are asking the military, the news media, forestry and other services to stop commerce so CB can "ratchet jaw"! :shock: Do YOU have the training to recognize that "funny" noise as actual transmissions? For example, I am listening to data transmissions on certain gov't HF frequencies. It has to do with FEMA and other safety agencies. So if spread sprectrum radios were being used and the conditions were favorable for 26 MHZ, the radio would land on that frequency(s) but, there's
"HOW 'BOUCHA, YA GOTTA AN OLE COPY ON THIS ONE SAND SHOVELER IN CENTRAL NAW'TH C'LINA, WE TRYIN'!!!!!" Whose communications is more important? CB or FEMA trying to marshal supplies into New Orleans? That, respectfully, why HF CB will not get any more "channels" or power. It will likely get more VHF or UHF as common carrier and TV moves higher in the Gigahertz regions. IF CB hobbiests had behaved, they might have, but with all the stuff about "extree channels", big amplifiers and encroaching illegally in others' channels, NO way!
FCC knows it allowed a mess to develop, but the people that allowed it to happen are gone, and the current admins have to deal with it with the manpower and funds they have.

Like I said, get that ham ticket if you haven't already. :D

CWM

Hey CW you telling me that am can't be tightened up to work on 5 khz spacing? I don't buy that as a good reason not to look at the possibility of using the 440 khz spread more efficiently. My whole point is the sloppy radios on the market today will not do it but with new designs, better circuits it could work and would give more space to talk other than up in Ham land.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.