• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question.

Ok so the low channels are what most if not all drivers talk on when they want to get away from it all.They start at 26.515 and end at 26.955 but people like CW say its the drivers that go talk on the 10 meter band....28.000 to 29.700??Well i call BS on this one!!After all of these years driving i have never heard a driver say lets go to anything other than the high or low side(26.515 to 26.955 low or 27.415 to 27.855 high).CW if you were a driver like you say you were then you know this.So would any other driver out there.So please get off the stupid driver kick!

I have to say that since this was first brought up I listened on 28.085 and did actually hear truckers one night on that freq..Like I've shared before I don't think that a lot of them know they are in the 10 meter band. But that was the only time I recall hearing someone on there.

i just dont understand what there trying to get away from. i have alot of locals here but most channels are free for use not crowded at all.

now i do understand that some would not know that that radio they got from bob's truck stop would take them to 10 meter and that was highly illegal with out a ticket. they just got sold some radio. they said i want some extree channels. i got this radio right here has thousands this is what you need and there off. there buddy with them said ya let me get one of those aswell.

they get down the road and say hey lets try so extree channels.

extree = so CW understands what im saying LOL

So why are you are bringing yourself down to CWMorse's level? I think the rest of us understand the problem. The cure will be a little more painful for both Hams and non Hams alike.
But I wonder if the Hams like CW will ever be able to clean up the ham bands? before they worry about the cb bands? good discussion on this subject on QRZ.com
A bigger question is These Radios are imported Why not just stop the radios at the dock? Loop holes in the laws I guess.
King mudduck go over to Trucknet.com CW also known as Radio Ray on that site has been busting truckers chops for years. I sometimes wonder who this ex railroad man hates more Truckers or cber's? The sad part is Ray is smart! builds his own screwdriver style antenna. He has a lot to offer everyone here I just wonder why he always goes off and rants about 10 meters? Ham radio is more than ten meters.

Here is something I wonder about...
if a CB operator, such as a truck driver, wants to talk to another driver, and wants to have a "quieter" channel, why not just turn down the RF gain of the radio? You can still hear the other driver who is likely close to you, but reduce the ambient background noise of the channel you are on.

Or, turn the squelch circuit on the radio to a level that only allows your local operator to open. Thats what we do here when talking locally and the skip starts to cause interference.

Of course, we can all help reduce the "hash & trash" (QRN) on the CB freqs by running the minimal amount of power needed to talk to the other operators, which would help reduce the need for other operators to go in search of a quieter (and possibly unauthorized) channel.

Sometimes it seems to me that the best solution to a problem is the one that is acheived through common sense.

I don't agree with the way C.W. Morse likes to characterize CB operators as slack-jawed yokels (I don't know what to call the operators on ch.6, but they sure aren't slack-jawed :p ), but I do agree with his belief that we stay out of the amateur bands and try to run less power. That part is no different from the responsibility of a gunowner keeping his gun safe at all times, keeping it secured, and being proficient in handling a firearm. If everyone takes a bit more personal responsibilty, it helps to keep governmental interference in our lives to a minimum.

Very good post CDX8412.

Sometimes it seems to me that the best solution to a problem is the one that is acheived through common sense.
I agree, but the other problem that has been pointed out is....

now i do understand that some would not know that that radio they got from bob's truck stop would take them to 10 meter and that was highly illegal with out a ticket. they just got sold some radio

It would be in the best interest of all if more time and effort was directed at providing some info to the general CB public so this would not be an issue.

todt061458
As( I assume :D )you might reflect the voice of a few drivers, do you feel there is a need to use the frequencys in the ten meter band?
This is pushing all legal issues aside for the moment...( and Jerry, please don`t post about ITU treatys for now)
with the "freeband space" that we all know is being used anyway, is there sufficent room there allready to get er done so to speak?
I would like to hear some input from you on this subject if you have the time.

Jeff

I will answer you with candor as I always try to.
1.I truly believe that the FCC made a error way back when they put the cb band where they did .26 MHZ is a band that is going to skip. Just because the rules say you can't talk over a 150 mile limit does not make it so. it,s a HF band. and people are people.
2. I also understand that when the FCC made that decision to create the CB the world was a different place and the radios we now have did not exist. technology marches forward.
3. in the past 10 years cb could have been switched over to A higher frequency (uhf) and the modes changed to FM instead of AM but in today's world vhf and uhf frequency have a value to the fcc coffiers so to give 40 + channels to the general public for free would be a hit in the pocket book.
4. This problem of Export radios can only be changed by a act of congress and a active enforcement by the FCC and others like Customs,(long over due IMHO) But it is a very low priority with every one except a few disgruntled hams like jerry who still believe that a real ham should earn his/her license instead of just taking a test. and that CW should be a barrier to the higher lic class. He has stated this on other forums .
5.I do not believe that talking on a ham freq (TEN METERS) is a crime worthy of all this fuss.Yes it's a technical violation but so is a ham talking on the cb bands with a non type approved radio but come on this is the real world 2006. I am a extra class ham too. I have always told my fellow hams Educate the interloper don't piss them off and try to take their jobs away from them.Or rant with glee everytime a cb shop or cber gets a letter. from the fcc. A letter is a long way from a guilty plea. or a conviction. Most of the shops that got letters are still in business and still selling radios. now with a Warning sign posted in the shop or store. ( whoopie)
6.Hams are not a better class of people like some hams like to think and a cber is not a lower class of person like some like to think. We are all people who like radio for what ever reason. It's not the cbers fault that the FCC put them in the band their in and so close to the 10 meter band.
7.my big problem with all this is it's a very easy problem to fix. Just give the cbers someplace else to go. Like the 220 mhz band that is a most under used ham band. or how about those under used business bands in the uhf spectrum. Than set a date to make 26 mhz cb obsoleate.But the problem than would be how to distroy ( or collect)all the millions of cb's on the streeet that are owned legal and would it be a financial burdon on the trucker that would trickle down to the economy of this country and our trading partners world wide. a trade issue.
8. what do I really think will happen? Not much at all. will the U.S. goverment rip radios out of trucks as Ray wants? NOPE this issue is more a issue of the FCC screwed up years ago by not enforceing the rules for a long time. this problem is and was made by the FCC. Ray and all his buddies are mad at the wrong people. try being mad at the Govt not the trucker who just bought a radio sold at a store leagly imported into this country and allowed to enter this country by a costoms system that could care less if a export radio is on our shores.
9.And to answer another question before it is asked I do not hate Ray. I just think this ranting of his is counter productive it hurts people and their jobs. It does nothing to solve the real problem.Only the govt can solve this problem properly if they have the will and I do not believe they do. so did we solve anything here today NOPE! ray will still post long letters from his buddies at the fcc he will still rant on all the sites that will let him and the list is getting smaller. does he bring a solution to the problem nope! Is MURS the solution? nope! not enough frequencies and not enough under 300 dollars radios around same for GMRS and the other "family radio channels
'So what do you think would be a solution to this vexing problem? You asked what I thought now I hoped I answered your question. I know this is not a life or death problem but to listen to ray rant you would think it's a hanging offence. Truckers are not the problem the export radios are not the problem the problem is all of the above and mabe a little more. If some of my spelling is bad sorry I have not been to sleep in 28 hours and I have FAT fingers.I not only drive a truck I own the company fleet. Peace and prosperty to you and to all the members of this site in 2006 Tod
'

t

Well, I along with thousands of others won't stop running fairly large amounts, to huge amounts of power to talk when the skip is rolling or to give an extra long distance bear report. We know we're doing something we shouldn't, but that's half the fun. Besides, it really isn't that awfully naughty, is it? With all the evil the pimps in Washington do - thievery, kidnapping, torture, murder, treason,
etc., etc. Do the feds really think we give a rats arse anyway?
I know, terrible attitude isn't it?

LoneWolf TN

Nope nothing terrible about the truth!
It is and has become what it is because the powers that be thought that by passing a few rules and than not inforceing their own rules that all would be well in radio land.
So when a few complained did they start to inforce the rules nope pass a few more rules and give the voters what they wanted more channels so from 23 up to 40 now! and who knows mabe more.
And as for the power issue putting the cb band between the 10meter and the 12 meter bands with all the ham amps around well what idiot thought up that one?
I run power on the cb just like everyone else it just more fun than the stodgy ole ham bands. CBers are just more fun to be around.
Like I said in the post above the powers that be in washington just do not have the will to piss off the voting public and the lobby groups that put so much money in their pockets. it really is just that simple. so besides a few old ham not being happy what's all the fuss about anyway?Even the ham community is divided on this issue. 73's Tod

And as for the power issue putting the cb band between the 10meter and the 12 meter bands with all the ham amps around well what idiot thought up that one?

Twelve meters was not allocated to hams when CB was introduced. The bands (as you likely know) were 160, 75/80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 Meters.

There were a lot of factors involved that makes the issue not so simple.

1. Attitudes changed over 40 years which made the public more
"ME" oriented. IOW, they are more likely to ignore or break rules because they don't CARE about happens to others so long as they fulfill their own agenda.

2. FCC underwent a fundamental change in funding starting in the Reagan years as it became popular (and sometimes necessary) to downsize government. We had also just gone thru a period of hyper-inflation when home mortgages were up to as high as 18%. Attitudes both within government and in the civilian population changed as a result.

3. Technology was accelerating faster then we could absorb it, too. After the surge of popularity of CB radios fueled by the gasl "shortage" of 1974, the first VCR's and computers came to be something the public could embrace. Then came the cellphone. CB radio usage dropped. Email and IM rapidly took its place. The FCC adminstrations of the 80's thought, 'hmmmm, them CB guys are losing their punch and the public is going to cellphone, etc, so we can relax! .....Good thing,too, since Congress is in 'cutworm' mode".

4. But there was left that hard-core CBer that probably didn't change his ways a bit. He was there in the beginning with his
bootleg amp, his illegal ham rig, and his "extree" channels. He was going to "freeband" then, and "freeband" now; he just added his cellphone to his arsenal along with Windows and AOL!

5. As to the rules that were in place, the particulars were that
a. It was perceived that CB would gradually become less
popular and that the public would go to cells and com-
puters.
b. Congress was in a fund-cutting mood.
c. FCC admistrations became lax in enforcement because
of a change in philosophy; once a "lax attitude towards
enforcement was in place, it tended to remain in place.

What "lobby" group puts money in Congress' pockets? The voting public for the most part doesn't CARE about CB radio and, indeed, may regard it as a toy, an amusing hold-over from the "Smokey & the Bandit" era---even thinks it is DEAD. In some ways it IS when you look at the total picture of communications resources and hobbies that the public has at its disposal. Even ham radio is sometimes regarded that way, but got some really good press after 9/11 and Katrina.

The "fuss" boils down to one issue: right and wrong. The CB radio was/is for local, point-to-point communications for personal convenience. The rules are set up to facilitate this. Sure, you can use it as a 'hobby' and people certainly DO! It still doesn't make it right because there is an avenue provided in the law for hobby radio. CB radio just is not IT legally! The argument about "well, they put it on a band where there is 'skip' so it is OK for us to violate the 155 mile rule. Just because it is THERE doesn't mean you HAVE to answer it. Just because your car will do 90 MPH, you don't have to run 90, either. I have equipment that would operate beyond Part 97. It doesn't mean I HAVE to operate one of my transmitters at 2000 watts. It's called personal responsibility to follow the rules of the service whatever they may be. If I don't like the 1500 watt limit, then I can submit a petition to get it changed, not simply DEFY that rule because *I* think I am just SOOOO important that rules don't apply to me!

Hams WILL object to people just showing up where they don't belong. There doesn't NEED to BE a fuss. Just follow the rules of your particular radio service, stay OUT of where you don't belong, and all is well!

CWM

How wonderful it must be to live in your world CW. Just do what ever the govt tells you to do and all will be well.
You must believe in the Easter Bunny as well. And wear rose colored glasses too.
Did you forget about the American attidue to be rebels?
Do you really beleave that the govt is really always right.
You never talk about the things that Hams do wrong. Why?
You never talk about the Ham operator with his/Her non type accepted radio interloaping into the cb band why? Is this not wrong?
you never post fcc letters that hams get why?
Your hate tword truckers is well known. How do you think this Hate and Mocking helps your cause? does it not encourage just the type of reaction that you do not want?(Or maybe do want.)Do they do it in your area just to piss you off.
Not much more to say Ray. This subject has been talked to death. I must agree to disagree with you sir. but I will never agree that mocking a group of people( The cbers and the Truckers) is the correct way to make your point. It only makes you and your cause look petty, small and mean and only out to hurt someone. In reality maybe that is just what you want to do!
Ray your attitude does not encourage the people you are trying to reach to become Hams. If that is your real aggenda?
Ray we as Hams really need more hams not less. As the older hams become silent keys we need to encourage a new breed of radio operator. Or as the numbers show the Hobbie will die a slow death. do you mentor or Elmer any new people into our hobbie? or do you just bug truckers and put all your energy to the Hate of export radios and cbers "interloaping"
into 10 meters. Such a narrow focus for you. How sad for you.
73's for now Have a good day and a wonderful 2006 and beyond.

King Mudduck said:
Ok so the low channels are what most if not all drivers talk on when they want to get away from it all.They start at 26.515 and end at 26.955 but people like CW say its the drivers that go talk on the 10 meter band....28.000 to 29.700??Well i call BS on this one!!After all of these years driving i have never heard a driver say lets go to anything other than the high or low side(26.515 to 26.955 low or 27.415 to 27.855 high).CW if you were a driver like you say you were then you know this.So would any other driver out there.So please get off the stupid driver kick!

No sir. 10 meters has illegal ops on it too. And. You are just as illegal and causing problems for legal stations on 26 mhz. You don't belong there. You are breaking FCC regs by being there without an FCC license to be there.

You're obviously ignorant about where you are operating outside of the legal 40 channels. You're a law breaker and you want to dance around that CW Morse is putting out BS? He's completely correct. You have no business transmitting anywhere out side of CB. Period. End of discussion. It does not matter if its on 26 or 28 mhz, you're just as illegal on one as on the other.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.