• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

QUESTION

buff·er 2 (bfr)
n.
1. Something that lessens or absorbs the shock of an impact.
2. One that protects by intercepting or moderating adverse pressures or influences: "A sense of humor . . . may have served as a buffer against the . . . shocks of disappointment" (James Russell Lowell).
3. Something that separates potentially antagonistic entities, as an area between two rival powers that serves to lessen the danger of conflict.
4. Chemistry A substance that minimizes change in the acidity of a solution when an acid or base is added to the solution.
5. Computer Science A device or area used to store data temporarily.

Definition 1 is what you are looking for- as it pertains to a buffer circuit

ROB YOU ARE THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION THOUGH IT IS NOT A TERM THAT MEANS ANYTHING PERTAINING TO TO WHAT I THOUGHT IT DID. BUT DOES A BUFFERED CIRCUIT MEAN THAT ITS BEEN POLISHED TO NEW?

In the olden days, as my kids used to say before they had kids of their own, it wasn't rare for a ham to build a one-tube rig and put it on the air just by coupling the output to the antenna. The amount of coupling and the degree of mismatch could seriously detune the rig, so most of us built buffer stages which serve to isolate the oscillator (the one tube rig) from the antenna. Changes in the antenna thereby had much less effect on the oscillator, resulting in much greater stability and better output quality.

Then came the pi-network outputs, multi-807 finals (later 6146s) and so forth.

So a "buffer" is a stage that isolates sensitive stages from unwanted influences.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.