• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio noise

Runner

Feb 11, 2008
New Brunswick,Canada
Now that I have my new radio fixed I find another anoying problem.It has a small wine when the engines running.I know I can frig around with were its wired or wire it to the batt.But Im wondering why my old radio didn't do it.My new radio is wired and installed in the same place as the old one.:unsure:

do the antenna disconnect trick to determine if the noise is comming from the antenna or the power leads .

Now that I have my new radio fixed I find another anoying problem.It has a small wine when the engines running.I know I can frig around with were its wired or wire it to the batt.But Im wondering why my old radio didn't do it.My new radio is wired and installed in the same place as the old one.:unsure:
your noise sounds like alternator noise. try using a a.c. line filter that mounts on the alternator. most well stocked c.b. shops carry them, or you can also find them at car stereo dealers. they are easy to install too.

your noise sounds like alternator noise. try using a a.c. line filter that mounts on the alternator. most well stocked c.b. shops carry them, or you can also find them at car stereo dealers. they are easy to install too.

(Specific info to a thread that may come up on a search).

Goes between alternator & battery.

POWERWERX sells the NEWMAR 150A alternator filter as an example of this (reputable product line sold by a reputable radio supplier).

There’s cheaper stuff, so look around. eBay has many examples.

Pops & Whines. (An unclaimed screen name).

You said new radio -

Now you have noises...

Could be from several things all tying back to the newer radio and the hookups...

If you don't mind - can you elaborate a bit of the Radio? I mean; you can have one old radio - a old Cobra 29' that had/uses one type of power filtering scheme - and you replaced it with a 2950DX - two different chassis - two vastly different ways of handling power and filtering...

One uses insulated chassis ( the way 29's filter power prevents some of the noise you are hearing now) while another uses common grounding and now you have multiple point sources of noise from the Ground connections that occur from using a Negative Ground Only (a newer radio like the 2950DX Nxx.xxxxxxxxE-09 (Exponent)).

This thread is from 2008 and Runner has not been on the forum in 12 years.
Wow, maybe he needs to have his caps replaced...

?Is it too late to buy a Vowel?

When someone reawakens a thread - Zombie, Zygote or otherwise...

There's so much help here, we even answer - DEAD threads...

Slow News Day - I guess...
tumblr_n3dnecGim91r9a32bo1_400.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.