• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger RCI 6900F 150

jc4950

May 16, 2005
NJ Trooper
I have a 6900F 150 and love the radio. The radio does 150/w but the only thing is that it has low audio. I only run SSB with the stock mike and the radio is stock. Doing some research I found that the audio limiter is Q-39. With all my radios, I never cut the limiter just mod them correctly but in this radio's case I'm thinking of doing it. Just want to know if Q-39 is correct and to locate it in the radio. Thanks for the help in advance. Joe

jc4950 said:
I have a 6900F 150 and love the radio. The radio does 150/w but the only thing is that it has low audio. I only run SSB with the stock mike and the radio is stock. Doing some research I found that the audio limiter is Q-39. With all my radios, I never cut the limiter just mod them correctly but in this radio's case I'm thinking of doing it. Just want to know if Q-39 is correct and to locate it in the radio. Thanks for the help in advance. Joe

Q39 is not the mod limiter Q57 is. Removing Q39 leaves the ALC wide open
and makes your transmit on AM & SSB distorted and garbled.
Q39 is part of a few circuits and you will have no control over ssb power with it removed.

I can't see how your radio has low audio when you say it does 150w.

Maybe its time for a new microphone.

If the radio is actually stock, (just converted) then your first step would be to have a qualified tech do a correct tune and alignment. You will be surprised how well that will work. Along with that try a different mic. Whatever you do don't go playing golden screwdriver radio tech and start clipping things.

Also, are you running it wide open?

If so, try backing off of it and giving it some room to breathe. You shouldn't run any amp pinned out.

Run that thing down at 40W dead key or so and it should be loud as hell.

Down at 40 watt dead key? Heck, 40 watts should be the very max dead key you would even consider. Your variable range should be 8-12 watts turned all the way down, and 40 watts wide open dead key. If it was set for 50 or more thats why your not very loud.

jc4950 said:

I've heard the same complaint several times over the last coupla years. I've had drivers with RG56 stock mics,RCI stock mics ,Cobra stock mics and noise cancelling mics.

Some drivers have 1000 watt amps and still state their audio was low...the answer was a Power mic.

All them watts is meaningless unless your eating the stock Mic.

My personal truck has a 900 watt amp, RCI 2950 (1989 model)
a Wilson 1000 and a Astatic d104c power mic.

The radio is set at 3 watts,full mic gain and full power on the back of the mic. When I talk from NJ the Florida,
they tell me I'm sitting at the dinner table with them.

Do the Power mic first....surgery later ! 8) 8) 8)

Most Export radio's have tons of AUDIO when properly tuned. I have run nothing but a Road King for 7 years now and my Delta Force and S9 smoke.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.