• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Raspberry Pi portable Ham Radio station

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Late last year, I upgraded by portable station (mostly used while RV'ing) by adding a Raspberry PI 400 and 5V powered portable monitor to the mix.

6866-1608836013-30388dbcf2b672ddd01855ba9937f4b4.jpg

I found the Nexigo monitor on Amazon - was $150 when I bought it and now I see the price has dropped a bit.

Both the Raspberry Pi 400 and Nexigo monitor run on 5v, so I just plug them into the West Mountain Rigrunner 4004/USB which is also what the KX3 and amp plug into. As you can see in the pic, the Raspberry PI 400 runs digital mode stuff quite well - in this pic, I'm running FT8 with WSJTX but I have also since installed and used JTDX and FLDigi. For the OS, I just stuck with the native OS that comes with the PI. Most of the ham radio apps show up in the PiPackages Add/Remove Software app and others are simple enough to install. One thing to remember is that RPI 400 doesn't have a sound card built in. I just found a cheap USB Soundcard (also on Amazon), which worked fine.

This little portable setup is really convenient. It all neatly fits in a backpack and can be powered by some sort of portable battery. Of course, when running with an amplifier, the Rigrunner and a bigger battery is helpful. And, when you're done playing ham radio, the RPi 400 setup can do double duty as a RetroPie game console :)

Yes, I looked at the HamPi image and even installed it temporarily. Most of the apps that come with HamPi are available for easy install on your own, so I just didn't see the point. But to each his own.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated