• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rci2970n2

joespunn23

Jul 27, 2010
central new jersey
good day to everyone , im looking to buy a new rci2970n2 , well i finally got the 400.00 saved up it took a year but i guess that what happens when u got 2 kids and a wife and work for peanuts . well was just wondering if you all could lead me in the right direction on were to purchase one i would hate to buy from the wrong company with the inmternet there are thousands of place some better then others also should i get it peaked and tuned or just leave it stock thank you for your help 73's

Leave it stock with the 11 meter conversion.

Safe places to purchase from:
GI JOES
COPPER
SPARKY'S
WALCOTT
PREMIER

DO NOT BY FROM:

radioactiveradios

well we are in trenton , new jersey i have just gotten back into the hobbie im not really sure as to the local shops reputaions , i have heard of some locals talking about r&r communications in delaware , i visted the web site i looked it up on there site and its about 410.00 , i lookedd it up on copper it still would be ceeper for me to oder it from copper and pay the shipping also then it would be to drive to delaware which isnt that far and buy it from the store. i guess my next question would anyone know of any good shops in the trenton new jersey area or of any good techs in the area

If it was me buying the radio - I would drop a line to DTB radio (he is hear on the forum) and ask him about getting one for you. www.dtbradio.com

Then, you could have him do his "excellent tune" on it and you will be set. I have had (2) 2970dx's done from him and (1) 2970n2 and I am extremely pleased with his work.

On edit: If you have Dave @ DTB radio tune it and have him to set it for around 225 watts on ssb, then you can get buy with using just a 32 amp power supply. Mine will idle along at 15 amp draw at 150 watts - 21 amp draw @ 225 watts.

Last edited:
If it was me buying the radio - I would drop a line to DTB radio (he is hear on the forum) and ask him about getting one for you. DTB Radio Online - Redirecting to Main Page

Then, you could have him do his "excellent tune" on it and you will be set. I have had (2) 2970dx's done from him and (1) 2970n2 and I am extremely pleased with his work.

On edit: If you have Dave @ DTB radio tune it and have him to set it for around 225 watts on ssb, then you can get buy with using just a 32 amp power supply. Mine will idle along at 15 amp draw at 150 watts - 21 amp draw @ 225 watts.

And you can also drive out to Dave's right there on I-80 in Pa. IMO that would be your best bet.

thanks to everyone who replyed after doing more looking and checked out the places u all told me about i think im going to yake a rode trip and check the shop out on i80 then go from there . cause i do know one thing is that the 2970n2 is the radio i want . im going for tech ticket at the end of the month plus most of talking or trying to is on 38 lsb trying for dx but being a mobile unit and running a stock galaxy 949 i dont make to many contacts this should all change when i get this ranger alsodo have a 50 amp power supply along with a homebrew quad antenna i just finished up earlyier this week i cant wait to try this out well 73s

You have a problem with the supersnackpack Mack?

Just from what everyone else says about it, does it come in chocolate? I be lovin me some chocolate.

Never heard anyone other than the penis huggers at cbrt say good about it and when I tried to educate some of it's "members" on other aspects of rf I was unwelcome'd there.:love:

copper is the cheapest on these rigs that ive seen so far. Your conversion and shipping should put you right over the 400$ mark. As for peaks and tunes i let copper convert all my radios and ive never had a problem. No need in cranking the watts. The radio will last alot longer at factory settings. Save yourself some money in the longrun. Ive Been contemplating on one of these also. But its kind of pointless for me. I have the 6300f150 and it walks the dog in the mobileeee :)

Id be VERY weary of buying an N2 right now. My good friend a Starelectronics and communications got one new out of the box and applied power to it, and just the radio sitting without being keyed got so hot he couldnt touch it. Sent it back and the replacement did the same thing. He didnt want to break the loctite on the PA encloser, but we assume ranger is setting the idle current WAY too high from the factory.

Its ashame because ranger is about the only export radio i think is worth a damn.

Also make sure to get it alighned when you get it. Ranger also tries to get too much power from the PA and they will get hot. Retune it for 200-225 peak and it will run all day and night and just get warm.

Thats is a shame. Im a rci man myself. RCI stays on the ball so maybe they will have the kinks worked out in a few months.

copper is the cheapest on these rigs that ive seen so far. Your conversion and shipping should put you right over the 400$ mark. As for peaks and tunes i let copper convert all my radios and ive never had a problem. No need in cranking the watts. The radio will last alot longer at factory settings. Save yourself some money in the longrun. Ive Been contemplating on one of these also. But its kind of pointless for me. I have the 6300f150 and it walks the dog in the mobileeee :)

Cheapest is usually never the best deal and I would not let Copper touch my toaster much less a fine radio like a 2970. There is nothing wrong with a proper tune and alignment.

i agree cheaper isint always best. but why pay 425 for a radio new when you could pay 375 for the same one from copper? makes no sense. if your weary of copper just get the radio from them and then let some1 else convert/align it. I personally have never had a problem out of copper.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.