• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Realistic TRC 449

Great Radio!! (y)I have one in near mint condition. This radio has the uPD858 PLL. It actually has the same board as the TRC 457 & 458. Channel mods are done by rewiring PLL chip and have a possible 399 extra channels. Any questions please ask. Ill do my best to help if i can.

Reactions: Slowmover
i have had mine since new,it is one of the best ssb's made, right now getting
sparky tuned,yeaaaaaa

The TRC 449, and its brothers, the TRC 457 and 458, differ in small (but significant) ways from the models produced by Cobra, President, Robyn, and Teaberry that used the same Uniden 858 Chassis.

In the Realistic units, D23 in the AMC circuit is replaced by a 220 ohm resistor, and the the value of C87 is reduced from 10uf to 2.2uf. This has the effect of tightening up the AMC circuit so the Realistic sets don't really modulate as well as the sets from the other manufacturers. To correct this, replace the 220 ohm resistor with a 1N914 diode, and parallel a 10uf/16v cap across C87. C87 adds compression to the audio for greater talk power.
Defeating the AMC in these sets is a no-no, and it will be interesting to me to see what Sparky does to the limiters in your 449. The limiters can be modified, but should not be defeated. Bypassing D21 and D22 will look good on a meter, but will sound like crap on the air. Likewise, bypassing L10 and L11 will look good on a meter, but will result in a ton of harmonics and distortion on SSB with NO increase in performance. I hope that Sparky leaves this stuff alone.

The other difference with the TRC-449 is that FT2 and L26 are not in the circuit and are replaced by a jumper wire. Because of this, the adjacent channel rejection in the 449s totally sucks. These parts are still available from Dynascan (Cobra). Check Sam's # 127 for the part numbers. Get 2 FT2s and hook them in series for even better rejection.

In my opinion, the Uniden 858 chassis was the best 40 channel CB radio ever made. So, STONEMAN, you got a good deal when you bought one.

I had one of these, a TRC-448 and a TRC 451. Each was used with a Turner +3 base mic and a Radio Shack .64 omni-directional ground plane.

I eventually sold the 448 and the 449 and bought a TRC490, which is still alive and kicking. The 451 wound up in someone's boat.

Great radios. Never gave me a lick of trouble. Spot on frequency. Excellent SSB talkers.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.