• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rebuilding My Mobile Beam setup

15minigrass

Oct 30, 2006
At the current time I have a Stargun Puck mounted on the Cab of my reg. cab Chevy C1500. Gonna work on the camper end for my reflector antenna portion. I did install a 2" wide flat aluminum thru the channels of my Brahma camper which has an elevated rear portion. I'll post some pix, video and details of the project!!!

Hopefully this qualifies for the Contest Giveaway. :LOL: Mod LMK if this counts as a homebrew project for the contest.

Night, Night!!! Aloha 1-5....

This is what I have now. Spacing is 6 ft. Gonna try to drill and install another mount@ 86".
IMG_0220.jpg

Reactions: Slowmover
Does this belong in the Ham section or the CB section? It looks like the type of thread that would count. Of course, we need to see it through to completion... ;)

Yes, This is for CB. OK, Iʻll take pix/vids thru the whole project. Thnx Mo!!!!

Does this belong in the Ham section or the CB section? It looks like the type of thread that would count. Of course, we need to see it through to completion... ;)

OK need advice. Gonna try to run all LMR400, towerguy has some.

Jumper lengths:
From Radio to Driver(2x2879)
From Driver to meter(For now)
(Later)From Driver to Main amp.

Antenna feedline:
Prefered Length or what ever you guys recommend..........

I'd make it 108" since the braid is half of your antenna with that setup.

When running high power wear one of those RF radiation monitors like tower climbers use.

OK about done. Hereʻs a sneak peak.
This is the under side of the camper. Iʻll post the rest tomorrow..... Aloha, james...
Mobilebeam1.jpg

0212111450-01.jpg
I taped up the wires....

OK about done. Hereʻs a sneak peak.
This is the under side of the camper. Iʻll post the rest tomorrow..... Aloha, james...
Mobilebeam1.jpg

0212111450-01.jpg
I taped up the wires....

I told you before what you need to do to the inside of that cap, you have no ground plane to work against, that 4" piece of aluminum is doing squat. Get some chicken wire fence and put do the whole inside of the camper top attaching the chicken wire to ground.

Do you know how to work with fiberglass?
It is easy to pull the shell off and like MrBurb said, line the inside of the shell with the wire mesh, I know you might be limited to building materials.
Many years ago I seen a guy use modeling wire inside a glass camper shell. It is made of aluminium, easy to form, cut and shape and comes in rolls, used to be able to buy it at a hobby store.
Fiberglass is easy to work with, lay the modeling mesh , mold, press and fold the mesh in the corners, lay as many strips as you can down the length of the shell,mix up the hardener, and resin and start building it up.
Chicken wire will work as well, the thing is to make sure all the wire is firmly connected together to form a good ground plane.

Some where I have a picture of another camper shell lined with wire mesh.......kind of a Fred Sanford thing....wonder if anyone else remembers that picture...
I know it seems like a lot of work, but it came out real nice when he was done.

Jeff

ok, thanx Burb. For now Iʻll have to settle wit this. Number6 from honolulu said his friend lined his whole camper with sheet metal and what happed was every time he keyed up with the big box, it would arc from the sheet metal to the bed. Maybe he didnʻt have adequate grounding. Iʻll keep that in mind burb, Thanx. Aloha. James...

I told you before what you need to do to the inside of that cap, you have no ground plane to work against, that 4" piece of aluminum is doing squat. Get some chicken wire fence and put do the whole inside of the camper top attaching the chicken wire to ground.

Do you know how to work with fiberglass?
It is easy to pull the shell off and like MrBurb said, line the inside of the shell with the wire mesh, I know you might be limited to building materials.
Many years ago I seen a guy use modeling wire inside a glass camper shell. It is made of aluminium, easy to form, cut and shape and comes in rolls, used to be able to buy it at a hobby store.
Fiberglass is easy to work with, lay the modeling mesh , mold, press and fold the mesh in the corners, lay as many strips as you can down the length of the shell,mix up the hardener, and resin and start building it up.
Chicken wire will work as well, the thing is to make sure all the wire is firmly connected together to form a good ground plane.

Some where I have a picture of another camper shell lined with wire mesh.......kind of a Fred Sanford thing....wonder if anyone else remembers that picture...
I know it seems like a lot of work, but it came out real nice when he was done.

Jeff

hail screen

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?