• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Red Bull Stratos - a jump from 120,000 feet above earth

Tallman

W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class
May 1, 2013
Louisville, KY
Free fall at over mach 1.25! I wonder if he experienced the shock wave? Or was the air too thin.

Tallman

May 1, 2013
Louisville, KY
I would think it was too thin or he never would have been able to achieve such speed.
I was watching the airspeed/mach indication and after a few seconds of the highest mach reading his speed started dropping rapidly. It would have been interesting if they had been recording the audio and the boom was evident or not. I know the shock wave would have been dependent on air density.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Aug 3, 2009
When I listenend it had audio . All I heard though was the wind whistling thru as he fell......

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
When I listenend it had audio . All I heard though was the wind whistling thru as he fell......

Notice that when he first bailed there was no wind sound and his suit was not flapping? As he fell into thicker air the sound picked up and the material on his suit began to flap.

Tallman

May 1, 2013
Louisville, KY
My audio was muted! I listened to it several times and if there was a sonic boom it must not have had enough atmosphere to make a sonic boom.

Chat
Help Users
  • Moleculo:
    check. check. is this thing on?
  • dxBot:
    sp5it has joined the room.
  • sp5it:
    test
  • dxBot:
    Marconi has joined the room.
  • BJ radionut:
    Looks weird but see how it works!!!:cool:
  • BJ radionut:
    Good Morning Radio Maniac's:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
  • dxBot:
    357 has joined the room.
  • 357:
    wtf happened?
  • dxBot:
    tba02 has joined the room.
  • tba02:
    Radio check
  • dxBot:
    ButtFuzz has joined the room.
  • ButtFuzz:
    Check baby, check baby 1 - 2 - 3 ?
  • ButtFuzz:
    New year, new code!
  • dxBot:
    144inBama has joined the room.
  • Moleculo:
    There was an issue early on with the chat where the messages where the color white, so you couldn't see it. I wasn't sure if I fixed it for only myself or everyone. How does it look?
  • 144inBama:
    I can see it....
  • ButtFuzz:
    I can see it. Everything looks like Microsoft Calibri TTF now, which is good.
  • dxBot:
    Riverman has joined the room.
  • dxBot:
    TM86 has joined the room.
  • TM86:
    +1
  • AudioShockwav:
    Test.
    AudioShockwav: Test.