• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Request someone advise me on coax adapters

KQ9U

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 8, 2010
Indiana
I'm getting a YAESU FT-7900R transceiver. I read somewhere that it has an N Connector for the antenna.

Does anyone know if that is correct?

I'll be connecting it to an Arrow OSJ 146/440 antenna. The website states that it has a SO239 connector.

If I buy a coax that already has N connectors attached, is there an adaptor that I can use to connec it to the SO239 connector on the antenna?

There are no adapters that I am aware of.
- 'Doc

Sure there are Doc. Tons of adapters to go from almost any type connector to any other type connector. The following is just a small sample of type N adapters. Check out part number [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RFN-1036-1 about 1/2 way down the page.[/FONT]

RF Parts Company Type-N Adapters for Coax / Cable

My bet is that he would be hard placed to buy premade coax cables with type N's already installed unless he made a call to The Wireman or such and specifically asked for type N's. I would buy coax with PL-259's and then use an adapter to go to type N. Well actually I would install my own type N connector but I won't go there. :whistle:

Sure there are Doc. Tons of adapters to go from almost any type connector to any other type connector. The following is just a small sample of type N adapters. Check out part number [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RFN-1036-1 about 1/2 way down the page.[/FONT]

RF Parts Company Type-N Adapters for Coax / Cable

My bet is that he would be hard placed to buy premade coax cables with type N's already installed unless he made a call to The Wireman or such and specifically asked for type N's. I would buy coax with PL-259's and then use an adapter to go to type N. Well actually I would install my own type N connector but I won't go there. :whistle:

Well, that might be the answer to my question. I mainly want to have a factory installed connector hooked up to my antena.

Will a PL-259 on the coax connect to the SO-239 on the antenna? I can find LMR-400 coax with PL-259 connectors installed. Or will I need some kind of adapter?

I figured the factory installed connector would be better than something I installed when exposed to the elements.

Yes, I'm pretty much a newbie in this hobby. I had a CB radio nabt years ago but I kind of got burned out on it. Many of the people on the CB back then acted like heathens and I didn't want it turned on with the kids in my car.

A PL-259 is the male plug (coax cable end) that mates with the SO-239 jack (on the antenna).

Kewl! (y)

That's the main answer to my concerns.

One more thing. Is there anything I should do to make the external connection more waterproof other than just screwing it snugly to the antenna? Should I use shrink wrap or anything around the fitting?

Any coax connector exposed to the weather has to be weatherproofed. You can use several wraps of GOOD electrical tape, and by GOOD I don't mean the "five rolls for a dollar" special. :laugh: There are several products made for weather proofing cables but the easiest and cheapest is several wraps of electrical tape covered in a good thick layer of RTV silicone sealant. Some folks say not to use the stuff that smells like vinegar when it cures but I have used it for 30 years without a problem HOWEVER you MUST cover the connection with tape FIRST or you will never get it apart.

Should you apply anythings to the threads of the connector to make it seal better? Something like pipe thread sealant?

Should you apply anythings to the threads of the connector to make it seal better? Something like pipe thread sealant?

No, you want to seal it like CK said, which will keep the elements from even getting to the threads.

One thing I've read but, but never tried, is to wrap an overlapping layer of tape over the joint adhesive side out, then go back over it adhesive side down and then seal it all up. This will keep the adhesive from the tape off of the connectors.

Dielectric grease is always a good idea to prevent corrosion.

Learn to solder.

I can solder fairly decent. I sort of figured that a factory connector would be better, especially when exposed to the elements. Many not, eh?

I can solder fairly decent. I sort of figured that a factory connector would be better, especially when exposed to the elements. Many not, eh?

In my experience factory installed connectors are usually of the crimp on kind and are not soldered at all. When PROPERLY installed, crimp on connectors are great but in the ever moving world of "get it out the door and get the money" factory crimp on's are rarely something I would want to use. If the connectors are indeed soldered on then it's a gamble. Some may be good while others are not. It all depends on the skill of the installer and how much he is pushed to get product out the door. Personally I have not bought a ready-made piece of coax cable since about 1980. I have however bought a lot of cable and a ton of connectors.

OK, I ordered the coax and the connectors. I need 50 feet but that leaves me only about 2 foot to play with extra. So I ordered 60 feet of LMR-400 and 4 PL-259 connectors. I ordered a couple extra connectors in case I didn't like my solder joint and have to re-do it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.