• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RF limited UTB-1 Board in galaxy 99v

purenrg

Jan 27, 2009
Anyone have any luck using this board in this radio? My reason for asking is I'm getting all kinds of squeal with my D104m6 Mic with factory talk back.

isnt that a variable talkback board?just turn the talkback down.if it still squeels you got other issues.or maybe board ot installed right??
you have to cut traces on the solder side of the main board to install those .if the traces arent cut right it can cause problems.

you could try a skythumper mic ..noise cancelling yet a very loud mic indeed.

wait ..i reread your post..i see the board isnt in there yet.that radio must be maxed out pretty good ,maybe a swing kit in it or something.i still say try a skythumper .

like i said installing a utb1 board requires cutting traces on the boards solder side so if your not comfortable doing that then send it out to be done .i installed a couple utb1`s and they work great .you would need to disable talkback in the radio first befor you install the board.

I don't think you are going to need the UTB-1; for when these radios are peaked and tuned you can get distorted and a squeal from the talkback that is on when you turn the echo on. There is a solution to this and depending on the how old your 99v is here are the solutions. If you have the newer version with the smt(surface mount tech) echo pcb you would disconnect wire located in J15 to completely disable it, or you can ad a 470k resistor between the juction of c154/R207 to C187/R235 on the solder side. This will give a clean tb on ssb and fm. You can use different values-lower the louder. This is from cbtricks.com by the way. If you have the older echo board you need to disconnect TR35 to completely disable and if you want to still use tb you can do the c154/r207 to c187/r235 on the solder side. All credit is goes to cbtricks.com, but the power mic you are using is doing you no favors; a radio that has talkback that is on all the time can be used very well with an Astatic 636l. This radio peaked will offer you nothing but problems running a power mic into radio that already has power. The 636l does a better job with the squeal on talkback that the rk56, and skythumper. I have all 3 and have used them in real world situations in our trucks and on the bench. The skythumper would be great if you install the resistor and then use it; but you might get away with the 636l with just turning the mic gain to 1/2. The radio puts out almost full power and modulation at the 12o'clock posistion + or - a few watts. I hope this helps; and once again all the instructions can be found on cbtricks.com, under radio information.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.