• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RM KL 500 Linear

116sd019

Feb 19, 2008
Hi all i need help. I want kl 500 linear inside pics. (possible big and high quality)

it is my linear pics it no has 2 transistor and some bit (Coal- Transistor- Condansator) and what s Response RFG RF455 transistor ?

I think he's trying to find a replacement transistor. The appropriate transistor would be a MRF455. Hope this helps.

if you need replacement transistors use sd1446, change all 4 of them do not mix sd1446 with rfg455 in the same amplifier,

P1010217.jpg

Hi bob85 many thanks for high quality pics very clear your linear. My linear use only 2 transistor possible work i add sd1446 ? and i see your linear has modification its is DC Filter ??

its my linear some resistor toroids is no have :(

1446 should work ok, rm used both types of transistor in the 2 transistor kl351p and the 4 transistor kl500,
you must change 2 transistors, do not mix transistor types,

you have 2 x 68ohm resistors missing, they help make the amplifier more stable and help with impedance matching,
you should add them where you see the blue resistors in my pic, without them sd1446 may become unstable,

that is a filter board added because of damage to the circuit in that area caused by a local stations bad soldering,

good luck.

From the pictures it looks like that amp as been picked over for parts or converted to a 2 pill from a 4 pill. I would have an amp builder go through it and se if it's even worth fixing. Probably cheaper to buy a new one.

Hi all i need help. I want kl 500 linear inside pics. (possible big and high quality)

it is my linear pics it no has 2 transistor and some bit (Coal- Transistor- Condansator) and what s Response RFG RF455 transistor ?

You say your KL500 has 2 transistors? Someone has butchered that amp.

I see this is a old thread. But I got a kl 500 and just removed the sd1446. tested all bad. But I see in this pic above all the pills has those 2 added tabs to 2 screws, Mine only has it on the 3rd one from left to right, are they needed or can It run without them?

Replace all 4 transistors... Bob is correct in saying this.

You'll have to replace all 4 transistors to bring that amp. up to it's former factory output abilities. You'll require a matched Quad set of SD1446's. Don't just replace the two transistors alone, without changing the other two as well, or the amp may work for a short amount of time then blow the outputs. You require a matched set, commonly called a matched quad set. It's best you let a qualified service man do the job of restoring that amp for you, if you are not a lic. radio technician. Those pills are expensive to replace, so it's worth the extra money to have it done right, by someone who knows what they are doing.
Good luck.

Reactions: Edzashed
MRF-455 OR 1446?????

How long ago did the change to the 1446?????Mine has the MRF-455's,is it any difrence between finals??Pros and Cons.??????I was wondering if one of you members have a copy of the instruction and service manual on a Pdf???I lost mine and when I looked at rm italy they have it in Italian.My e-mail is
n8nqu@yahoo.com Thanks Bill N8NQU.73............:headbang

this has been in the closet for a while..

OK, I am about to challenge this, now, for a stupid question? how do you go about testing a sd1446? turns out I did if wrong?

and how did he convert it to a 2 pill?

thanks for any info?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.