• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Notice: You may not use this site to facilitate the unauthorized selling of copyrighted material including, but not limited to, in the public dxForums, dxGallery, dxChat and private messsages. If you get caught doing this, you will be permanently banned with no second chances. A notice will be placed on the site of why you were banned and any information collected by this site about you will be made known to the copyright holder.

RV Ham Radio fun

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I got the RV out to a local RV Park in the wilderness and spent the weekend having some fun on 40 meters. The setup is simple but effective for what it is.

6822-1605317006-c9a8ce2573dbab2931caa4fee2604c53.jpg

I put a portable table next to the RV and ran clamp on power wires from the house batteries into the West Mountain Radio Rig Runner 4004U. I just picked up this little power distribution unit for about $85 at HRO. You get 4 anderson power pole connections with varying current capabilities, plus a couple of USB ports, which is also useful for things like Raspberry PI based ham applications.

The HF Amp is an MX-P50A, capable of 50 watts on 10-80m. I found that the amp had no problem delivering the desired power when working within 2:1 SWR conditions. And of course, the rig is the Elecraft KX3. You can tell I took this pic in the morning because of the coffee cup; that was replaced by beer later in the day ;).

The antenna used is the Buddipole deluxe kit with the Low Band coil, Triple Ratio Switch balun (I operated at 1:1), a 12' collapsible whip, on a 20' telescoping aluminum mast with a counterpoise run to the top of the RV roof. To attach the Buddipole VersaTee to the mast, I just picked up a 1/2" lawn sprinkler nipple which screws right into the VersaTee, drilled a hole through both the mast and nipple, and put a quick release D-Ring pin through it. The setup is quick and easy to deploy, especially if you've pre-marked the coil and counterpoise for the desired band.

6821-1605317003-645286e4b0501fcd6995d659e7d6220f.jpg

This time I only operated Phone, which is what I enjoy the most, but I think next time I'll bring a laptop and play with the digital modes. One day I might purchase a100 watt amp to go with the KX3, but I'm really pretty happy with this setup.

XM4351243

Jan 17, 2021
I got the RV out to a local RV Park in the wilderness and spent the weekend having some fun on 40 meters. The setup is simple but effective for what it is.

I put a portable table next to the RV and ran clamp on power wires from the house batteries into the West Mountain Radio Rig Runner 4004U. I just picked up this little power distribution unit for about $85 at HRO. You get 4 anderson power pole connections with varying current capabilities, plus a couple of USB ports, which is also useful for things like Raspberry PI based ham applications.

The HF Amp is an MX-P50A, capable of 50 watts on 10-80m. I found that the amp had no problem delivering the desired power when working within 2:1 SWR conditions. And of course, the rig is the Elecraft KX3. You can tell I took this pic in the morning because of the coffee cup; that was replaced by beer later in the day ;).

The antenna used is the Buddipole deluxe kit with the Low Band coil, Triple Ratio Switch balun (I operated at 1:1), a 12' collapsible whip, on a 20' telescoping aluminum mast with a counterpoise run to the top of the RV roof. To attach the Buddipole VersaTee to the mast, I just picked up a 1/2" lawn sprinkler nipple which screws right into the VersaTee, drilled a hole through both the mast and nipple, and put a quick release D-Ring pin through it. The setup is quick and easy to deploy, especially if you've pre-marked the coil and counterpoise for the desired band.

This time I only operated Phone, which is what I enjoy the most, but I think next time I'll bring a laptop and play with the digital modes. One day I might purchase a100 watt amp to go with the KX3, but I'm really pretty happy with this setup.

Rwb

tell the devil im gettin there as fast as i can,r
Jun 30, 2018

twas an rv in the dessert...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AudioShockwav:
  • @ kb9ghn:
    My first thought was the i.r.s. may be interested in a long term money making scam without proper taxes being paid..probably more than electronics involved.
  • @ Toll_Free:
    My first thought was why hasn't someone paid him a visit. I mean, his address is posted above.
  • @ beakster1715:
    Good news! I opened an appeal case after eBay sided with superhawkwss6. I also opened an IC3 case & sent that information to eBay. Within an hour they responded, reversed their decision and returned all of my money. Unfortunately, superhawkwss6 stole my CB radio and eBay will likely not suspend or close his account, but rather allow him to continue his criminal activity. I think I'll still file a report with our sheriff's dept (the sheriff is a friend of mine) though I know this type of crime isn't worth their time. This guy needs to be stopped and I'm certainly going to do my best to make that happen.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good Evening!