• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sideband mobile CB with best/most audio

preacherman

Feb 21, 2006
Northern Illinois
Title says it all...not exports, but CB's and allowing for the fact that there may be some considered best quality and some the best quantity.

List one or two of your top candidates.
preacherman

For a SSB cb you can't beat the Uniden Grants. I would put those first and seconded by Philipine Cobra 148. No China shit... Now there may be some really great SSB cb's that go way back but I can't give specific models. The old Tram mobiles had some unreal audio.

Uniden PC 76 which is only AM as I know you know, are really good audio output machines but you want SSB radios. The Grants may not be huge power monsters or "the" loudest radios out there but when you look at the cost and reliability and modability they are tough to beat. I think properly tuned Grants and 148's are probably, pound for pound, some of the best radios out there. I am re-thinking my desire to get an export radio, although the SS 158 EDX really has me interested.

Like others have said in here, Uniden Grant is one of the best mobile SSB radios out there.

An older (Phillipines made) Cobra 148GTL is another good one(same as Grant really).

Those 2 are the best CB SSB mobile radios out there, these days.

a 148 beats the hell out of a 2950 in ssb performance, you are getting a constang 6db of white noise from the cpu. not to mention the 2950 has a frequency display not a counter. i can make the radio transmit in any frequency its capable of and have it show 28.420 on the display. doesnt mean its on frequency.

ive had and modded more 2950's and 70's than i can count over the years and they are fine radios but no where near the performance of a well designed uniden main board design. a hr2510 hives better stability, no cpu noise and just as much versitility as a 2950.

i agree that noting beats a hf rig for ssb use, especially up you buy a narrow filter (2.3k or so). fine tune the notch and you can hear 1 person at a time, regardless of others with there megawatts yelling "cq".

Reactions: Slowmover
go with a Grant XL add some extra channels & a freq. counter along with a small amp and go SSB Dxin. i have a 2950 DX & a uniden 2510 but always go back to my Grant XL. great RX and can be made to drive an amp with good swing. :twisted:

Thanks to all for the responses. I kind of figured the 148/grant would win out here. I probably should have been even more specific and said..."which ssb radio has the best AM audio"? I've had many radios over the years and the Uniden chassis radios are still at the top of the list for me.
preacherman

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.