• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SINGAPORE

Beetle

Dec 7, 2005
Western Washington
Just before leaving for a Navy shipcheck, while I was getting my station secured, I heard a Singapore station on CW, calling CQ. I answered him and we had a good, short QSO during which he introduced himself as "Simo". On CW, of course, I couldn't hear any accent, so I assumed that "Simo" was a Malaysian nickname.

I told Simo I was going to be in Singapore in just a day or so. He gave me his home phone number and his work phone number and told me that if I was there longer than I expected, to give him a call and we'd meet face to face, have a beer and an "eyeball QSO". I wrote down the numbers and stuck them in my wallet.

It turned out that the ship (USS NIMITZ) wasn't quite near enough to Singapore to pick us up right on schedule - we were there (at full per diem, thank you very much) for almost 4 days! I did call Simo's work number and he told me that this particular day was his wife's birthday, and would I like to join them and their two kids for dinner at their apartment. Would I! He gave me the information to tell the cab driver how to get to his office. As it turned out, "Simo" is a perfectly common man's name IF the man is from Finland. Mr. Simo Hoikka was "Mr. Nokia" for the whole Southeast Asia territory at that time!

When dinner was served, I quickly took stock of what was happening: here's an AMERICAN, in SINGAPORE, sitting down to have dinner with a family from FINLAND. The dinner had been cooked by their MALAYSIAN housekeeper/cook. Any guesses as to what it was?

Some of the best made-from-scratch lasagne I've ever eaten!

Beetle, you live a wonderful life.

I'm thinking that this is the founder of Nokia cell phones.

Anyway, I own a few of their phones and stock in the company.

Watch for the balance...

C2-

No, Simo was just the Nokia representative for Southeast Asia. He's not the founder of the company. Great guy, though. I did a little Googling a few months ago and located him - he's now doing the same job, but he's in the Philippines.

When I visited him in Singapore, I got to operate his station, using his call (9V1YW). I hardly EVER have that much fun with all my clothes on! Seemed like 15CW was open to the entire world. Whenever a Finnish station would call, Simo would jump in using the Finnish language and some of the odd Morse characters that go along with it. I'd do the same thing whenever a Japanese station called (I can work with the Japanese "kana code" pretty well). It sort of blows the other guy's mind to hear fluent Finnish or Japanese coming from a Singaporean station!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.