• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Single tube radios on Utube sound and pics including the 50L6 TX in operation.

Dolmetsch

Dec 24, 2010
I made a short video of the 50L6 transmitter operating and some in the dark footage as well with the tube glowing and my RF indicator bulb and loop blinking away to the CW. Tomorrow I will draw out the circuit so I have it on hand. I am adding a cap circuit to rubber the crystal. I tried a quickie set up and it worked well. I am still torn between fixed caps and a switch or a 100 variable. It gives me enuf flexiblilty to be able to QSY to avoid others in QSO.
I may also give it a 40 meter tank circuit and work the harmonic for two band operation. I have a double gang cap and could wire the 40 meter coil which I made BTW when I made this set a few years back. The 80 meter left as is and the forty meter hooked to the unused cap section and switch between the two. I will try it on a dummy load first to make sure it works. Other pics in the video are my regen set and my 40 meter single tube TNT TX

I found the original site where I got the circuit years ago. It is too bad more dont build them because it sure works well and uses very very few parts. http://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/IMAGES/50c5tx.gif. Anyway i said I would make a diagrahm but I found the original which is even better. it works for a 50c5 or a 50l6 depending on the vintage. They are found in the AC Dc radios we grew up with and can be had for nothing. When you stop and think you could build a complete good working reasonable power transmitter from stuff you might find in the dump, even the TV crystal, tis amazing. No it isnt a double yoked PLL mega power transmitter but it does work and it works well. I like to build vintage stuff. it is for me fun

Don VE3LYX
YouTube - old time radio_0001.wmv

Last edited:

Sig report

:DI got an SWL report from a N9--- in NC this morning . He said he could hear me calling CQ 1100 to 1106 on 3580. Said it wasnt strong but in the clear. Since I live in Bellevile Ontario that makes me happy and the project a success. I was worried about if I could be heard down the road. I guess it doesnt matter now. The project has taken on a whole new interest. to be able to commnicate with just a handful of parts is to me anyway exciting. I am now inspired to add a variable cap to give me some VXO and also a better crystal for a more active frequency.
I wonder if I can make this set a TNT ?? I have a 40 meter TNT I built but it is a triode(245 vintage tube). I have not been able to find a TNT circuit for a Beam tetrode but looking at the schematic I think it may be possible. I have a dummy load for the rig so if it does work I will check it out thoroughly before hooking it to an antenna. Maybe it is just me but I do get excited about making this old time stuff and using it.
Don VE3LYX

Pretty neat stuff. It would be really cool if you had a photo diary showing us the build. Thanks for sharing the videos!

I am sorry but I built it a while ago and didnt think to take pics. It isnt complicated. It is somethng that can be built in a day if you have everything ready. I have now had successful QSOs using it and my regen together. as in the video. I dont think I would change anything. It works better than I would have thought. It sure is fun sending on this tx and hearing the reply in the regens earphones. Sort of takes you back.
I have a 40 M rig TNT tx with a 245 tube. I am building now a regen set to match it as well. This will be my pre 1929 station. I will photograph that build.
Don VE3LYX

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated