• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SIRIO 27 tornado base antenna

You already have a Maco V-5000. Unless you bought an I-10K, you would be hard pressed to beat the Maco. The Sirio antennas are junk!

This antenna:
65-1023877901-pic.jpeg

65-1023877884-pic.gif

can be purchased for a LOT more money here:

http://www.angelfire.com/psy/mrcoily/id10.htm

I'm sure the Enforcer is built much better however.

i agree with MC for a change :twisted:
sirio antennas are mostly a pos only slightly better than cte/spectrum antennas,

the 827 is sirio's strongest/best performing 5/8 with a very thick base section, ( the original 827 was even thicker/stronger )
they do suffer from bad connections in the base section if you just use them as they come from the manufacturer, some noalox and sealant should sort that out,
dump the plastic joint pieces cut slits and fit hose clamps on the joints and they are a decent antenna,
probably stronger than the maco, definately stronger than the imax2000 but they aint no i10k ,

the tornado does not perform as well and they fall appart in the wind, i would stick with the v5000.

NEWS JUST IN :shock:
the tornado is not as it seems in the pic,
i used to own one years back and could have sworn it was like other 5/8 using tapped transformer at the base and 1/8wave radials but it aint,
i talked to a ham buddy tonight who is going to use one modded for the 6mtr shootout, while talking about the matching he informs me that uses an open circuit design unlike any of the tapped transformer setup,
at first he said no tapped coil and i thought he meant no coil at all, i did not agree with that and asked him to describe the exact setup as they definately had a coil,
heres what he said
the coax feeds the bottom of the coil with no shunt to ground no tapping it part way up, the antenna is open circuit not dc grounded like most 5/8 and 1/2wave antennas, its the second one hes had and they are identical, hes thinking of doing what A/S did with the sigma2 and the small internal coil so hes dc grounded.

This is about antennas in general, not any one specific antenna. It is universal, applies to all antennas.

An antenna has two primary aspects the user should consider, it's mechanical characteristics and it's electrical characteristics. The mechanical characteristics determine how long it will last in the real world environment. It's electrical characteristics determine how it radiates (where the signal goes). Having very good mechanical characteristics isn't a sign of a 'perfect' antenna if it's electrical characteristics aren't also very good. The other way around too.

Forgetting about the electrical characteristics for a minute...
Probably, the determining factor (or at least one of them) of how well an antenna performs, in both aspects, is price, sort of. Making an antenna mechanically strong has a price in money and materials. Strength has penalties too, weight, and 'wind area'. Which means that all the other things necessary for a good installation have to be bigger/stronger too (as in support structure, guying, foundations, etc, etc.). None of which are for free, usually.

Now for the electrical characteristics.
It all depends on just where you want the radiated signal to go. Different types of antennas have different radiation characteristics. There is no such thing as a "perfect" universal antenna that will do everything. There are antennas that do ~almost~ everything sort of well. The bigger that "almost" thingy, the more expensive and physically 'elaborate' the antenna gets. (Another aspect is that just because it's more expensive and/or 'elaborate' does not mean it's better.)

Any/every thing has limits, usually determined by physics and your wallet. The only thing that doesn't fall under that 'limit' is advertising where anything goes. The only thing to really pay attention to when dealing with antennas is it's mechanical and electrical abilities. It's 'looks' mean nothing unless it's only being used to 'dress-up' something else. In most cases, 'looks' apply mainly to a mobile antenna, since that's about the only kind that you get close enough to to see much of (ideally).
[Having just swapped for a new(er) truck, 'looks' mean more at the moment than it will later. Give me a few months and I won't really care where I punch a hole in it, but for right now... oh well, just have to wait for the 'new' to wear off, you know?]

- 'Doc

W5LZ said:
This is about antennas in general, not any one specific antenna. It is universal, applies to all antennas.

An antenna has two primary aspects the user should consider, it's mechanical characteristics and it's electrical characteristics. The mechanical characteristics determine how long it will last in the real world environment. It's electrical characteristics determine how it radiates (where the signal goes). Having very good mechanical characteristics isn't a sign of a 'perfect' antenna if it's electrical characteristics aren't also very good. The other way around too.

Forgetting about the electrical characteristics for a minute...
Probably, the determining factor (or at least one of them) of how well an antenna performs, in both aspects, is price, sort of. Making an antenna mechanically strong has a price in money and materials. Strength has penalties too, weight, and 'wind area'. Which means that all the other things necessary for a good installation have to be bigger/stronger too (as in support structure, guying, foundations, etc, etc.). None of which are for free, usually.

Now for the electrical characteristics.
It all depends on just where you want the radiated signal to go. Different types of antennas have different radiation characteristics. There is no such thing as a "perfect" universal antenna that will do everything. There are antennas that do ~almost~ everything sort of well. The bigger that "almost" thingy, the more expensive and physically 'elaborate' the antenna gets. (Another aspect is that just because it's more expensive and/or 'elaborate' does not mean it's better.)

Any/every thing has limits, usually determined by physics and your wallet. The only thing that doesn't fall under that 'limit' is advertising where anything goes. The only thing to really pay attention to when dealing with antennas is it's mechanical and electrical abilities. It's 'looks' mean nothing unless it's only being used to 'dress-up' something else. In most cases, 'looks' apply mainly to a mobile antenna, since that's about the only kind that you get close enough to to see much of (ideally).
[Having just swapped for a new(er) truck, 'looks' mean more at the moment than it will later. Give me a few months and I won't really care where I punch a hole in it, but for right now... oh well, just have to wait for the 'new' to wear off, you know?]

- 'Doc

Doc I was wondering where you were going on this post :)
he he and now I see.

Doc got himself a New Truck, well kinda sorta :p ya get the
idea.....

Doc don`t tell me ya got rid of the Old Ford ?
U 2 were a perfect match as I recall, seeing ya driving with
your pointed little head out the drivers door- ;) he he he

Hope ya like like your new one...

Regards,
John

Sqealer...uh Dealer,
No, still have the old Ford. Doubt seriously if any dealer would offer what it's worth. Not that it isn't for sale at the right price, mind you! Pointy little head? How can you tell with all the hair that's on it?
- 'Doc

I just got my Sirio tornado 27 today from hy electronics via ebay. When I opened the box I was surprised as to the ease of assembly. Less than 15 minutes with a tape measure, marker and phillips screwdriver. You do have to convert MM to Inches but that is easily done by googling a converter online.I used whip @ 37.5 Inches and groundplanes @ 33.5 inches. Im replacing a v5000 groundplane by maco with this. First impressions, I dont like the two screw per section assembly so Im going to notch the sections and add stainless clamps this will prevent the "banana" bending I have heard of. The Coil, SO-239 and associated hardware Is very well built and I was happy at all other aspects of construction.

Remember to use locktite on set screws!

After assembly, I screwed in my RG213 and went to testing at ten feet. I was pleasently surprised! Swr 1.2 First try. Done deal!! Tomorrow its goes up on the 80 ft tower. Pictures to follow. Compared to the Maco, It really Depends on what you want. Sirio is a high quality italian antenna. They are used by alot of both cb and amateurs across the pond. Maco has been a US staple for years so of course when another brand comes in it is met with alot of reluctance. I have been a maco and wilson guy for years but after having the wilson 5000 stolen, I switched to a sirio 4000 and havent looked back It has ears like a preamp I couldnt be happier! But in the end allow me to say. Antennas are like ladies, There is one for every person. I love to try new things and this antenna is one Im happy to say is easily worth the cash.

Reactions: Z-MAN and Z-MAN 369
hey joe , good to get some comments from someone actually using it . since your gonna take pics could you also take pics of the edge of the tube elements next to a coin so we can get an idea of the thickness of its wall ? some up close pics of the coil , feed point and ground elements attachments would be sweet too . and thanks for you comments so far .

after you've had it up a bit be sure to let us know how it performs compared to your maco 5000 ? how does the strength/sturdiness of the antenna feel compared to the 5000 initially ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.