• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SOLARCON ANTRON 99 VERSES THE SOLARCON IMAX 2000

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I have an Antron 99 up Ive used them for years but I also have an IMAX 2000 and was wondering if there is a huge difference between these and is it noticanle enough to be worth pulling the ANTRON 99 down and putting up the IMAX 2000?? I use my A99 for 10 meteers aswell as 27 mgz it also tunes into 12 meters nicely. I read a few articles on EHAM about some guys adjusting the tunning rings on the IMAX 2000 to work it in 15 meters and they also say theres showed a 2- S unit difference from the A99. Has any of you seen a difference between the A99 and I2000? Is it worth doing I have other antennas up but between these 2 I wanted to get a little input and or advice from people who have experienced differences or experimented with this theory between these 2 antennas.

I didn't adjust the rings, but added the ground radials and some wire radials for 15 meters.

The Imax 2000 (8 years old) i was given works fine without tuner from 15 to 10, with tuner 20 meter will work, but there the FD-4 OCF works better anyway.

a friend of mine changed from an A99 to a Imax 2000 and did see about 2 s units on his meter when we talk on same power as always and same radios. I rec. him much better too and get an extra bar on my 2970.

Hope this helps.

I was figuring between the 2 antennas that the I-2000 being a 5/8 wave should deffinately show an increase in output (S Units) to any distant stations you often make contacts to due to the lower angle of signal radiation that is what a 5/8 wave antenna is noted for instead of half to 3/4 of the signal getting lost in space like the 1/4 -1/2 wave antennas signals do

I am not a fan of either the A99 or Imax 2000

I have owned and used both ( still have them somewhere)
I noticed better receive and at times better transmit on Imax 2000 (with ground plane)

The only good things about these antennas ( in my book are)
They are cheep
They are not easy to see at night

However if you want to change to a Truly Excellent antenna
I will suggest looking here
Home of the Interceptor 10K Antenna

Problem with this antenna in many peoples mind is
The Price
Its size
and a good deal more involved setting this antenna up

The good things about the Interceptor I-10K are
will possibly out last you
will not be bothered by storms (except for the craziest most insane weather)
You will hear far better ( quieter and further)
You will very likely transmit further

Also for those running amps ( i hear a few people like to on 11 meters ... LOL )
the I-10K will likely handle far more power then the average CBer is using

Back to your original question
I used the A99 and have spoken all over the world with it
I have spoken all over the world with the Imax 2000

However i consistently talk far with the Interceptor I-10K
if you are un-willing or un-able to spend the money for a truly good antenna

Then it i my experience there is not enough difference between the A99 & Imax 2000
to warrant wasting the money on the Imax 2000

my suggestion
Save your money and get what most people (myself included) call the best ground plane vertical 27 mhz - 11 meter antenna out there
The Interceptor I-10K

no difference to me between the antron99 and imax 2000. if you cant afford the I-10k then just get the maco v 5/8 or v5000 . definitely better than the antron 99,................grasshopper1031

I had a A-99 for 10 meters then bought a Hygain 12AVQ and installed a GPK-1 kit for 10 meters and sets of HAMSTICKS for 15 and 20 Meters. The A-99 could not even equal the 12 AVQ on 28 mhz ........

3 bands on one antenna ...... and 12 and 17 with a MFJ tuner .....

TonyV225,
What's the difference between an A99, an Imax, and any other antenna? Electrical length, construction, input impedance matching, and ease of use. That's it. The rest is all 'opinion'.
Construction means how well it's put together, quality. Has nothing to do whether it's all metal, or has some plastic/fiberglass/whatever in how it's put together. (Fiberglass does not affect RF, RF sees right through it. It doesn't attract lightning. And all those other things you hear about it. I'm not very 'enthused' with it cuz it makes me itch.)
The determining factor for any antenna is it's radiation pattern, where the signal goes when it leaves the antenna. If that pattern is such that the signal goes where you want it to, that's good. If it doesn't, then that's not so good. Doesn't matter what antenna you're talking about, that holds true for all of them. An antenna's length determines the general shape of it's radiation pattern (size). What's around that antenna determines the radiation patterns shape, as in holes, spots where it doesn't go, distorts the 'classical' pattern to something else. That means that getting the @#$ thing away from stuff is good, to some ridiculous point. You can see further the higher you are, and an antenna is basically the same. Lot's of 'wiggle room' in that statement, but basically true.
And probably what makes the most difference in how well an antenna is 'liked' is how easy is it to set up, to adjust, and to just be able to lift the thing, you know? Both the A99 and Imax antennas are really about as 'easy' as it gets. Same for impedance matching. May not be 'perfect', but a lot easier to mess with than some others.
So much for that.

I've had an A99 up for a lot of years. It worked. Not 'perfect' in every case, but certainly 'good enough'. At times, an 80 meter looped worked just as well and sometimes better. But not most of the time. It isn't up any more. Not because I found a better one, but because fiberglass doesn't last very long around here, and since I hate messing with fiberglass, I didn't want to fix it. I tend to think that an Imax would be the same (fiberglass) and I don't want to mess with it either. (The loop is gone too. One too many ice storms, etc. I really hate that! Oh well.)
So. What did all that have to do with what you asked? The pertinent parts are there. You get to sort out the 'yeah, so what' parts! :)
- 'Doc

Crap! Gotta go to work. Later all ya'all.
("All ya'all" = plural. "Ya'all" = singular. End of redneck lesson.)

Reactions: Marconi
What's the difference between an A99, an Imax, and any other antenna? Electrical length.

If this is so then is not the Imax 2000 better as it is a 5/8th wave over the A99?

I personaly like my maco 5/8, less cost than the I-10K but probly the same performance and I have it since 2003 and it is as good as new. I dont like the fiberglass myself.

AP

I can say one thing forsure and thats these antron 99 are the most forgiving antenna Ive ever worked with there not fussy I work 10 meters with mine aswell and dont even have to use the tuners internal or external so its a broadbanded beast thats forsure. As far as the fiberglass HELL YEAH IT SUCKS @$$ I know theres better antennas but I figured I have the Imax here and was considering putting it up but was asking to see if its actually worth it or if it results in minute little to no d8ifference at all. Thanks for the response and yes I do understand whats been said here :D

My results, - for what it's worth

Same radio, mast, coax, contacts:

A99 ..................... S-7

Maco V-5/8,
Spectrum 1600,
CLR-2, Jam Ram,
other 19'6" '5/8' ... S-8

IMAX 2000 ........... S-9

Penetrator,
Avanti Sigma 5/8,
Wilson Alpha V5/8,
Taylor GLR4,
(I-10K?)
other 23' .64 ......... S-9+5dB

cdx thats one of the best responses i ever read!i am using a v5/8 right now but had an imax up before this but the wind took her down.before the imax i had an antron 99 with ground planes up an the imax was 2db better on tx and rx without the ground planes.the maco is an ok antenna but its no imax, just the frequency coverage alone to me is worth the imax.and the imax is not a 5/8 wave to everyone else out here it is a .64 wave. 73s all

cdx thats one of the best responses i ever read!i am using a v5/8 right now but had an imax up before this but the wind took her down.before the imax i had an antron 99 with ground planes up an the imax was 2db better on tx and rx without the ground planes.the maco is an ok antenna but its no imax, just the frequency coverage alone to me is worth the imax.and the imax is not a 5/8 wave to everyone else out here it is a .64 wave. 73s all

How do you find your recieve/ qrm etc between the mako and the imax 2000?

Dave

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.