1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Soldering Irons

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by NorthStar, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

I'm with you Doc. There is no way I could ever justify that kind of money for a solder iron/station. If I was a company owner that needed reliability and repeatability of performance then maybe that would be a different story. I worked in broadcasting for 22 years and never had a solder joint fail in all that time ( and there were tens of thousands of them trust me) nor did I burn up half the insulation while wiring studio interconnect wiring cables. Sometimes somethings are just way overestimated. At times I think it is because the manufacturers are trying to eliminate skill and replace it with what they THINK is better.

2. Cityboy

Cityboy Active Member

Like I said the Pace line may be expensive and not for everyone, but just as Captain Kilowatt said if want reliablility and dead on accuracy which can be very crucial in certain applications then the use of a Pace equipment is one of the best. I did not purchase mine brand new and have a total of $320 into my SX90 desoldering hand piece and ST-90 soldering iron with another $45 in soldering tips and desoldering. So quality can be had at a reasonable price if you know what to look for. This is just a personal preference and the Weller is a very good one but my Pace is definitely better.