• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sommerkamp Pa 100

Littlejoe2010

Nov 15, 2010
NY
I have a sommerkamp pa100 , and was wondering if anyone can give me the low down on this ,if it is a good amp or not . I am looking to sell it

Picture of amp here

Attachments

• Summerkamp.jpg
    Summerkamp.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 445
Yes, I have one, it is a very nice little amp.Two output transistors Motorola MRF 454`s, nice, clean build, 4 Power levels, Pre Amp.
It is a very nice driver, If I was you I would try to hang on to it, I doubt you will see many more.

Jeff

Attachments

• seal 007.jpg
    seal 007.jpg
    870.1 KB · Views: 1,195
  • seal 006.jpg
    seal 006.jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 1,041
  • seal 008.jpg
    seal 008.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 606
Just another quick note, Sommerkamp = Yaesu Munsen and a lot of the Sommerkamp brand stuff was sold in the European Market.
My Amp is Serial number 000088.
Robb, next time you talk to Sam Lewis, please ask him if he remembers these amps, I am sure he can share much history about how some of the Guys from the old Palamor line where involved with the Sommerkamp Label.

jeff

Hey Jeff,

It's good to see you, and I wasn't trying to say anything bad, and I can agree with you that it least it has it, I am just wondering what the wirewound resistors would do as far as adding inductance or maybe acting like a choke to RF??? But it's a neat little amplifier.

if the wirewounds just happen to have the right inductance:blink: it could give the rolloff in feedback needed to help flatten the gaincurve as you move up in frequency, many hf amps have lcr feedback but not usually wirewound resistors.

But...wirewound resistors for part of the negative feedback????

What resistors do you mean? The 5 watt 33 ohm ones? If so they may not be wirewound. I have several 20 watt ceramic resistors that look like that but they are not wire wound. I used four 8 ohm resistors that look just like those in a dummy load that was good to 6m and acceptable to 2m.

Hmm, true they might not be... just thinking I have seen circuits like this before to where they were in fact wirewound and made great chokes rendering the circuit inoperable. But it would be interesting to find out. I love learning and have never seen one of these amps up close and personal.

What resistors do you mean? The 5 watt 33 ohm ones? If so they may not be wirewound. I have several 20 watt ceramic resistors that look like that but they are not wire wound. I used four 8 ohm resistors that look just like those in a dummy load that was good to 6m and acceptable to 2m.

If they LOOKED wirewound, but where NOT, they where HIGH VOLTAGE (pronounce that as "REALLY high dollar" resistors).

I bet they where the "audio non-inductive" resistors..... Those they wrap half of the resistor one direction, and the other half in the opposite direction. Supposedly, on a 1Kc LCR meter, they show little to no reactance. I haven't had a resistor of that make come across to put across my VNA to see if it makes a difference at MF and above. I've heard from others with a VNA that it only marginally improves MF and HF performance WRT SWR.

The problem with "non-inductive" ceramic resistors is this: Ceramic will hold heat inside, making it BAD for anything other than keeping HV Corona internal.... Which is why the wirewounds are encased in ceramic material in the first place.

Incidentally, you'd be amazed at how much high voltage a standard 'radio shack' wirewound will withstand for voltage. I use their 10 ohm and the ranges around that (it's amazing how little my 'dealer store' stocks) for glitch resistors in sweep tube and Gi7 amps.

--Toll_Free

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.