• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sonar BR-21???

Cheech

Apr 6, 2005
Medina county Ohio
Anyone heard of theese amps or used one? My friend just got one free and needs some info. The amp is a base amp and has 5 tubes in it 4 big ones and 1 smaller tube. It also has a meter on the front that gos to 500. Anyone know anything about theese such as power output required drive wattage ect. ect. Thanks!

The small tube is your keyer tube (12AT7) and the four larger tubes are 6JB6's. As it came from the factory with 10 watts drive you might see 50-60 watts.

Now, if the amp had some + volts on the screen grid, an adjustable negative going supply on the control grid and, a couple of hundred more volts (600-700) on the plate (The meter is marked 500 to measure the B+ volts on the tubes 450 vdc) and that thing would do 150 maybe 200 watts peak.

ok cool! Sounds like a very interesting litle amp( I have yet to see it hehe) anyway I tell him whats up with it and let him know you have a manual for it Monk and see if he may want to buy it from you. Thanks!!!

They're too rare to declare a "Blue Book" price the way you could for a used car. If more of them were changing hands, you could try to average out what they bring.

Better to think about what your other choices would cost. Can't figure it's worth more than half what you'd pay for a new amplifier that does the same job.

Besides, it's got to be thirty years old, more or less. Doesn't matter so much what it was like when it was new. How much of the last 100,000 miles' maintenance has been done? If it hasn't been, that expense will fall to you once it gets put back into regular use.

It's not just the miles, it's the years, too. Thirty year-old relays, filter capacitors and such may not have a lot of "miles" left on them. Can't just measure the tread depth like a tire, or look for obvious dry rot.

Consider also that it was built for a radio that's "small" by today's standards. There weren't any "dual-final" base radios in 1975. A small radio will probably suit it fine. A large radio may overdrive the thing and give it a headache.

My buddy is running a magnum s-45 through it. He turns the power down and there is no diference with the amp on. It has been used and abused! Benn re wired and there is now a foot pedal to controll it? May be to much to fix when for the same price he could possibly get a new one.

They were made for use with the Sonar FS-23, Sonar FS-3023, and the FS-2340 Vintage tube cb radios...

Anyone heard of theese amps or used one? My friend just got one free and needs some info. The amp is a base amp and has 5 tubes in it 4 big ones and 1 smaller tube. It also has a meter on the front that gos to 500. Anyone know anything about theese such as power output required drive wattage ect. ect. Thanks!
They were a cb amp that are 1 12ax7 tube driving 4 6L6 tubes , Driving it hard would do about 500 watts , safely run it at about300 watts with 4 watts drive .25 mhz to 50mhz.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.