• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Speech processors: do you use one?

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
Ever since Bob's CB built the SP-1a speech processor for the Clear Channel Corporation's AR-3300/3500 10 meter radios; it started a revolution. Big radio sound - if installed and tuned properly - is now in the hands of any CBer.
http://www.bobscb.com/bobs_cb.htm

The company that builds them now is called 'Top Gun'.
Top Gun Products

Many of the Magnum radios come equipped with these modifications. They come in two basic types for the Magnums.
The compressor model: TGT Modulation Control
Or the modulator model: TGT Modulator

Sparky's CB Shack also carries them for only ~$18 each, and you can do it yourself.
http://www.sparkyscbshack.com/topgun.html

I have both of these built in to my Magnum OmegaForce, as they are features that come with the package. I must admit, that even if I turn off the modulator, the compressor makes it impressive sounding as well. Works great for SSB. And on AM - the Top Gun modulator makes this radio an audio monster. I wouldn't have believed it - until I heard it for myself.

Perhaps others have also put these modules in.
Or you use another type from another mfr/make.
Like to hear what you use.

I'm a'fixin to get a TG compressor and put it in my Galaxy DX 99V for the mobile...
$20 shipped; what's not to like?

Last edited:

I have pretty much always used a speech processor but most were already built into the radio. The Icom I had had an audio type speech processor while the Kenwood TS-820S I currently use has an RF type processor which is much better and more effective than the audio types. It operates at one of the TX IF frequencies. I did have an SP1-A in a Ranger 2950DX and it worked quite well. The trick is to set it up properly and the proper way is NOT to have Billy Bob down the road tell you that he can hear you on all channels so it must be working good. :D Over the holidays I will have a bit of time off and will be working on getting my Heath DX-60 back on the air for use on 80m AM. I have a spare SP1-A that I plan to build into a microphone preamp circuit and incorporate into the audio chain of the DX-60.A Sennheiser MD-421 driving an SP1-A should sound pretty good on that old rig. (y)

i never use a processor.
in fact, i tend to ignore any station that over processes their audio, this includes all the ESSB types also:whistle:

There is a difference in a properly adjusted processor and an overly processed station. A lot of people think that more is better but not so when it comes to audio processing.When I run the processor on my Kenwood I run no more than about 10-12 dB of compression even tho it will produce more than twice that. I run just enough to boost the average power output level on SSB and not enough to produce that LOUD distorted sound that picks up every little sound in the shack. It's a fine line balancing mic gain and compression levels.

sometimes less is better

gotta agree with that.
some people crank everything to the right and you can hear the clock ticking in the background:thumbdown:

I'll give Al/Sparky a call tomorrow and talk to him about getting a Top Gun module for my Galaxy DX 99V. This radio is not going to be used as a base station; it is going in my mobile. I'll write a review about installing it and give my gut feelings about the whole job and the part itself. I'm leaning twards getting the compressor; as this can be useful in all modes - FM, AM, & SSB.

I have always run a processor,i never have it more than cracked open.I have had them on radios from Yeasue,Kenwood,and TenTec...a little is good alot is to much,like anything...73s de JW

I just got off of the phone with Sparky's CB Shack, and ordered the modulator first. I changed my mind at the last moment, and decidied to just put the modulator in and review that one first.

The cost was $17.95 & $4 shipping, and should be here in a week or less...

TGM is a crap. Test it by yourself. There is a lot of better ways to improve your signal.
Mike

Here's the deal. I have a stock Galaxy DX 99V radio (w/dual 2SC1969 finals) in my car with no linear power. This radio will see 6-25~ PEP as it is - with a Astatic D-104 mic. If I can see 4-35~ watts out of this radio - and keeping the TX audio clean - I'll consider it a success and a bargain. Sure, the module is made for non-Hams. That is the real attraction. If one is a Ham and is modding their older radio with newer outboard gear to get more out of it - for the same reasons; then I will have accomplished nearly the same thing and spending little money doing it.

If one has a 10 meter radio and this device promises to give it a lot more ummph than just removing the regulator alone; then it is a viable piece of gear. That is the question that many readers here may want to know.

Sure. It's one thing to get it in and working according to my Dosy and a 100 watt dummy load; it is another thing to adjust it so it works clean when I get a radio check from a trusted friend on the RXing end. I plan on being brutally honest in my evaluation.

Sparky's guys on the phone took the time to make it a positive experience. They also recommended the compressor mod too. Which I will do once the modulator is installed and evaluated first. Any of the Galaxy DX series benefits greatly from using both mods - so I was told.

I just thought I would break it down and discover which of the two modules worked the best. In my Magnum OmegaForce - it already has both components built-in from the factory. I can attest that this radio is without any doubt in my mind - or anyone that knows/heard my station locally or while DXing - a very clean and loud audio station. I have heard other Galaxy owners use these same devices and claim their radios have all benefitted greatly from installing/using them.

Last edited:
Back in the day when i got my 2950dx radio, I purchased the SP1a processor

and the way i set it up was following the directions :)

I adjusted it by switching the radio to the PA output, add about a 15 ft. line to a RCA
big box speaker across the radio room @ adjust it by ear until it sounded good to me.

I sure miss that radio as it was the foundation the North Texas Portable was built on...

ANYONE have an "Original SP1a" by clear channel for sale with directions for install, I am more than willing to pay
a reasonable premium for it...

BTW, Merry Christmas to All

John - kd5wjy

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated