• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ssb audio awful while using zetagi burner

Damo666

Jan 10, 2009
Hi guys. I am having some problems. When i use my radio with no amp in use on ssb my audio is a good q5 according to everyone i request reports from. However, when i attach my amplifier everybody says the audio is very scratchy and darlicky and generally crap. I've altered the gain on my mic and even lowered the drive power, but people say it sounds terrible. Can anybody assist please? I'd be very grateful for any feedback.

Hi guys. I am having some problems. When i use my radio with no amp in use on ssb my audio is a good q5 according to everyone i request reports from. However, when i attach my amplifier everybody says the audio is very scratchy and darlicky and generally crap. I've altered the gain on my mic and even lowered the drive power, but people say it sounds terrible. Can anybody assist please? I'd be very grateful for any feedback.
Which amp are you using? sounds like a class-c style amp which will cause those symptoms.

Thanks for the response. The amp is a zetagi b47. I don't know what class it is, but there's a schematic on the cb tricks website. The audio is perfect when the amp is off, but awful when switched on. By the way, there's a ssb/am switch. I've tried it switched both ways. Cheers.

Thanks for the response. The amp is a zetagi b47. I don't know what class it is, but there's a schematic on the cb tricks website. The audio is perfect when the amp is off, but awful when switched on. By the way, there's a ssb/am switch. I've tried it switched both ways. Cheers.
Well being that it's a mosfet amp the bias idea is out so it maybe other things such as over driving, the manufacturer states 4 watts am and 12 watts ssb.

Hi. I've think i've established that it's not right for ssb as it's a class c. I drive it with 4 watts on am/fm and 4 watts pep on ssb. I might try a variable resistor in the r4 position to see if i can improve things. Failing that, i'll just return the alc in my radio to do more power and omit the amp. Cheers.

its cb,people are used to hearing that kind of audio.

Hi. I've think i've established that it's not right for ssb as it's a class c. I drive it with 4 watts on am/fm and 4 watts pep on ssb. I might try a variable resistor in the r4 position to see if i can improve things. Failing that, i'll just return the alc in my radio to do more power and omit the amp. Cheers.

It is not a class-c circuit because it uses the MS-1307 mosfet for output which is biased with 3 to 6 volts dc and the culprit is most likely the alc in your radio that is the problem as stated in my previous post refered to as over driving the amp when in ssb mode.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.