• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Notice: You may not use this site to facilitate the unauthorized selling of copyrighted material including, but not limited to, in the public dxForums, dxGallery, dxChat and private messsages. If you get caught doing this, you will be permanently banned with no second chances. A notice will be placed on the site of why you were banned and any information collected by this site about you will be made known to the copyright holder.

SSB Delay

Recon

NY 881
Jul 28, 2019
Up-State NY
My question to the gang.
My RCI-2980 has USB and LSB capabilities, but my two-pill driver amp and ten-pill main amp do not have sideband delays. Can I use the amps on sideband?
I don't dare try it without asking. Thanks!

sp5it

Master of puppets
Jul 9, 2009
Poland
www.qrz.com
I would not, because of hot-switching. Risk of frying the amp is high.
Delay is simple to make, it is just electrolytic capacitor holding tx keying in amp.
Typical RF-sense TX circuit in amp:
C.PNG

C3 hold PTT for a while.
Mike

Last edited:

Recon

NY 881
Jul 28, 2019
Up-State NY
I would not, because of hot-switching. Risk of frying the amp is high.
Delay is simple to make, it is just electrolytic capacitor holding tx keying in amp.
View attachment 58038
C3 hold PTT for a while.
Mike
Thanks for the quick reply Mike! I don't have a clue (or knowledge) of radio tech "stuff". The 2980 does OK as-is and maybe I should have purchased the sideband delay option when I ordered the amps.

Reactions: S&W357

Recon

NY 881
Jul 28, 2019
Up-State NY
The Amps will probably not have the correct biasing for SSB use, all you will get is a large splatter box, which will not go down well with your fellow SSB operators.
Just saying ;-)
I agree and that is why I asked the question. I'm only asking just in case we have a Member Call-in Channel on sideband.

9C1Driver

Aug 13, 2008
If the amp has no auto or switched SSB delay it's probably a class C box. If you were to test it you would have to talk fast with no break between words so the amp would stay keyed. Even then you will be able to tell because the amp will make a click click click sound the whole time.

Reactions: NZ8N

Recon

NY 881
Jul 28, 2019
Up-State NY
If the amp has no auto or switched SSB delay it's probably a class C box. If you were to test it you would have to talk fast with no break between words so the amp would stay keyed. Even then you will be able to tell because the amp will make a click click click sound the whole time.
Thanks for the little "trick of the trade", but I have a considerable amount of money invested in the two amps and I'm not ready for a trial and error test. I'll let the sleeping dog sleep.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AudioShockwav:
  • @ kb9ghn:
    My first thought was the i.r.s. may be interested in a long term money making scam without proper taxes being paid..probably more than electronics involved.
  • @ Toll_Free:
    My first thought was why hasn't someone paid him a visit. I mean, his address is posted above.
  • @ beakster1715:
    Good news! I opened an appeal case after eBay sided with superhawkwss6. I also opened an IC3 case & sent that information to eBay. Within an hour they responded, reversed their decision and returned all of my money. Unfortunately, superhawkwss6 stole my CB radio and eBay will likely not suspend or close his account, but rather allow him to continue his criminal activity. I think I'll still file a report with our sheriff's dept (the sheriff is a friend of mine) though I know this type of crime isn't worth their time. This guy needs to be stopped and I'm certainly going to do my best to make that happen.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good Evening!