• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

static ball necessary ?

B

BOOTY MONSTER

is the static ball on top of mobile antenna stingers really necessary ? does it stop or reduce static as its name implies ? mine got knocked off but i had enough extra in the antenna to raise it up a hair to reset the swr to optimum . seems to be fine....just thought id ask . the one on my 10-k seems to have liked my fishing hole so much it stayed there .

It's called a corona ball. It can help reduce static buildup under certain conditions, which affects the RX. If you knock it off and you don't notice any difference, don't worry about it.

From what I've read, corona balls are good for dealing with rolling static and dust static, but most are too small to do any real good. If you are going to replace it, put a larger one on and let us know if it helps. k0bg's site has some info that is a pretty interesting read with some practical suggestions. Here is a link:
www.k0bg.com/

I was having trouble getting my swr down below 1.4 on one of my wilson 1000s as it was high on channel 1, but I had the whip all the way up. I lost that little "ball" off the top since then, and now SWR is flat :shock: . I don't understand it, but I'm not complaining :p .
As far as static, there is a slight difference, but not noticable, unless you have more than one of the same antenna, and switch back and forth to see the difference.

thetnhillbilly said:
From what I've read, corona balls are good for dealing with rolling static and dust static, but most are too small to do any real good. If you are going to replace it, put a larger one on and let us know if it helps. k0bg's site has some info that is a pretty interesting read with some practical suggestions. Here is a link:
www.k0bg.com/

Hey someone found out my secret, I know a lot of people that shoud read some of the articles on this site and one or 2 others.

With a CB antenna, you are unlikely to notice any additional "static" in your receiver. The post about "corona" is actually most accurate. And it applies mostly to Amateur and commercial, high powered HF operations. It is when atmospherics, temperature, humidity and electron particles are at juuuuuust the right combination to cause "lightning" to emanate from one's antenna. That is the "corona" and can be quite a light show! Accompanied by a "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT" you can see AND hear, there will be little bolts of visible electricity coming off the tip of the antenna. Particularly "exciting" (pardon the pun) at night. Now. What that little ball does is to provide a smoothe, round surface at the tip that makes it difficult for those little static charges to take hold and "jump" to the surrounding air. While they can occur at any frequency and any power, it mostly happens at lower frequencies and high power levels above 250 watts. One hundred sixty meters
(1.8 MHZ) is quite susceptible to this and I've seen operators take a wad of chewing gum and roll it into a smoothe ball, then put it up there to stop corona (temporary solution)---anything to stop this from happening. With that said, corona is NOT a good thing. While it might be fun to watch (stay OUT of the way of it), it makes the SWR shoot to the moon :shock: and certainly is not good for the equipment. So if you are doing it to show somebody how "powerful" and big your station is, you might regret it if you keep creating corona, and you wouldn't want to "shock" or burn a bystander. Luckily, while most corona will appear at the tip of the antenna, it can occur right AT the loading coil or anywhere along the radiating element, so keep onlookers away. Fortunately, corona, as I said, usually shows up at the tip of the antenna above the reach of spectators, and it is because the highest RF current is up at the tip.

A buddy of mine bought a 12" X 18" , 160 Meter bugcatcher some years back when Henry Allen was in full swing with the Texas Bugcatchers. Installed and tuned for
1885 KHZ, Jim quickly found that, using an SGC Smartcube (500 watts), corona would develop in a heartbeat. He machined a HIGH 1" corona ball for the whip and it would STILL go into corona at times! :( In broad daylight, the whip would shoot fire a foot wide in little "lightning bolts" all around the tip!
BUMMER! "Cute" to look at, impressive to non-techs, but not good for the equipment! When it started doing that, the amp would simply kick out due to the extreme SWR generated making it impossible to talk. So he abandoned 160 meters. Haven't seen much corona since from 75 UP even with 500+ watts!~

Hope this helps explain the purpose behind the little ball on your whip!

CWM

Reactions: Slowmover
rfoverlord,
Although some have always had their 'doubts' about Allen (NM, where the little green men are not considered 'illegal aliens'), he does know what he's talking about. ;)
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.