• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sweeping an unknown filter video Anritzu Site Master

bushwacker

Jul 19, 2005
Northern Alberta Canada
I posted this video on another forum.....but it seems that nobody was really interested.
Hopefully someone will be interested in checking it out here.

In this video, I am sweeping a rotten old Drake filter. There is no label or indication of what type of filter it is. I used the Anritzu Site Master to sweep the filter to identify what type of filter it is and what its passing.

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNGY9IZ2cwQ

Hi Bushwacker,

Thanks for the neat demonstration. Yes it's very cool but maybe the lack of interest is because an Anritsu Site Master is a professional grade test instrument and it's unlikely that many if anyone here can afford one. It's so darn fancy....you didn't even spell it correctly
rollingf.gif

We're just a bunch of dumb ol' country boys here with our CB radios and throw in a few hams for window dressing. You may as well have said: "Hey guys,,,have you seen the latest Rolls Royce?" Well no...but we can't afford to buy one of those either.

Now...if you have a source for some deeply discounted Anritsu Site Masters....then we might be a listin'
128fs318181.gif

Thanks
interview.gif

Well, from what you've displayed, it seems that Drake low pass filter is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing. Cutting off stuff above 50 Mhz, approximately. If I'm not mistaken, that's how it's advertised, isn't it?
- 'Doc

(Considering the shape that filter is in, and that it's possibly about 40 years old, that's not really all that bad.)

Hi Bushwacker,

Thanks for the neat demonstration. Yes it's very cool but maybe the lack of interest is because an Anritsu Site Master is a professional grade test instrument and it's unlikely that many if anyone here can afford one. It's so darn fancy....you didn't even spell it correctly
rollingf.gif

We're just a bunch of dumb ol' country boys here with our CB radios and throw in a few hams for window dressing. You may as well have said: "Hey guys,,,have you seen the latest Rolls Royce?" Well no...but we can't afford to buy one of those either.

Now...if you have a source for some deeply discounted Anritsu Site Masters....then we might be a listin'
128fs318181.gif

Thanks
interview.gif

Thanks for pointing out the spelling.... I always mispell it....my spelling sucks LOL
I'm just a communication tech.... not a english techer LOL

I borrowed this thing from work. I don't own it...I can't afford one either. All I own are old Cushman monitors and old equipment. I'm just like every other Ham
It sure makes things easier though, no need for an swr bridge and doing return loss.
Theres alot of techs and Hams on this forum, I thought they might want to check it out....the average cb guy most likly doesn't care.

W5LZ......That drake filter was in totally awful shape....but it still worked with 6 db ( if memory serves me) filtration a around 50 meg....real steep cutoff. The loss through the filter was actually pretty decent too. Its a pretty solid little filter.

I got the anritsu ( see I spelled it correctly) for my long weekend so I'm using it for a few different things.

Thanks for the comments
Take care

Last edited:
That's cool BW I was just funnin' with ya. I'm a ham too and would love to have a shack full of Huntron Trackers and Agilent Communications Service Analyzers, it's just that the typical radio operator is only a hobbyist, is not rich and not even an electronics technician. It is fun to be able to tinker around with our own repairs as much as possible and send MFJ and Dosy all our money
money1.gif

mocantina.gif

Hi Bushwacker,

rollingf.gif

Either that or folks are too busy spending the holiday with family and friends instead of on the internet. ;)

Bushwhacker, that is a pretty good demo. I miss being able to use a bunch of gear like that. I used to be a station engineer for an AM/FM broadcast network back here for 22 years. Now it's just a 'scope,some older stuff with names that start with AN/URM (y), some B&K stuff and a Wavetek 4101 modulation meter. I get by with it, after all when you own a classic Kenwood you never have to work on it and in the rare event that you do, all you need is a few basic pieces of gear and a strong back to get it up on the bench. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.