• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR meter - any recommendations?

KQ9U

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 8, 2010
Indiana
I just passed my technician test, and waiting on my call sign. And I've got a Yaesu FT-7900R ordered and on the way. And I ordered an Arrow J Pole antenna, and it's on its way, along with some LMR-400 cable.

What's a bottom line SWR meter for me? At this time I don't want to have to spend any more than I have to. I can always upgrade later and get a better unit and sell my old one.

Any recommendations for a SWR meter that won't break the bank?

Thanks,

John

102y.jpg

So happens I have one with the manual. 1.8-30 Mhz

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1441

Last edited:
You'll need at least a VHF SWR meter (not sure about the Heathkit). Is it good at VHF, Mack?

Generally, an SWR/Power meter that works fine on HF will not be very accurate at VHF, and even less so at UHF. Size of components and length of wiring becomes critical.

You'll need at least a VHF SWR meter (not sure about the Heathkit). Is it good at VHF, Mack?

Generally, an SWR/Power meter that works fine on HF will not be very accurate at VHF, and even less so at UHF. Size of components and length of wiring becomes critical.

OK. I've got a Micronta 21-525 Field Strength/SWR Meter. I wonder if that would work.

Thanks,

John

1.8-30 :sad:

I can say that I have an MFJ VHF/UHF SWR/watt meter that works. It probably won't be the cheapest thing in the world though (don't remember the cost). Also probably not the 'best' in the world either, but, it works just fine. It's an '817C. Take a look at it then you decide. Look at all of them, not just this one.
- 'Doc

I have one of these Daiwa CN-101L power SWR meters its a nice average reading meter and is on the money as far as standard average measurments. I use mine inline with my 2 meter radio setup but Ive also ran it to check HF. I am glad I have it and its a nice meter. There are True peak reading models aswell. Look into these ;)

NEW!! Top of the Line SWR Power Meter Daiwa CN-101L - eBay (item 320595597390 end time Dec-24-10 17:28:41 PST)

I have one of the Daiwa CN-101L Meters. Good meter and seems to be very accurate.

Check out these here: If this auction stays at these lower prices, it's a steal. I have the CN-801 HF / 2M version. It works very good for SWR measurements. It's not an active Peak reading meter, so it's not so good for voice PEP measurements, although it's as good as anything else I've got for constant carrier modes (CW, digital, etc.). Basically, it's good enough for most operator's usagee. When you consider that this auction also includes the additional VHF/UHF meter, it might end up being a pretty good deal, depending on how high the auction goes.

Diawa CN-801 cross needle watt/SWR meters HF, VHF/UHF - eBay (item 150536430440 end time Dec-29-10 17:15:49 PST)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.