• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Take care in Re-Tubing your Linear... KLV 1000 Re-Visited! ;

High Miler

May 30, 2005
Pennsylvania
Hi All,

Well after the growing pains the KLV 1000 has been very, very good to me... Alot was learned and if I had to re do it again knowing what I know now, I most certainly would re-order the KLV 1000 with some good tubes.

I replaced the weak Yugoslavian EL-519 Tubes... These tubes are ONLY made by EI now ... (Yugoslavia) and are purely junk... They are not what should have been put in these amps...

I put American Tubes in and have watched the output come up some 300 Watts more, I have pounded the heck out of the linear yet still keeping a 1 1/2 Watt Carrier... But letting the radio swing wide open...

The dreaded "Pop" has not been experienced... And I have gotten the linear plenty warm on high power... Alot of the blame as I have come to find out lye in the cheap Yugo tubes...

American NOS Tubes... Search for the EL-509 ... NOT the EI EL519!!

World Famous Russian Tubes for those that want the best... I ordered 5 and am looking forward to trying them also.

With these 2 places above you can't go wrong re-tubing... The quality is definately there... My American Re-Placements were GE/Westinghouse tubes... Obviously NOS replacements (New-Old Stock)

For current production High Quality tubes you can't go wrong with the St.Petersburg,Russia tubes for sure...

Hope this dis-spells the myth of the cheap KLV and that if people do try them ... Re-Tube with good tubes... For a 1.5 KW linear (SSB) it's hard to beat the price, even if you have to re-tube it ... Once you do it will give you many pleasurable hours.

I'm glad I did the research on the tubes... And didn't give up on the KLV so fast.

Thanks AMPOWER ... With alot of research on Tubes and why they were so prominant to popping ... That's what I came up with.

I didn't want to post until I was able to try out my theory, and SURE enough ...

I pounded the living life out of the tubes... Matter of fact the Russian Version claims a Carrier Input of 65 Watts!! Try that with the Yugo tube and find out what happens!

Everything is running great... I have the DeadKey set to 1 1/2 Watts on AM swinging 3-5 Watts ... They say Doubling RMS gives you 100% Modulation...

Whether this is the case or not... It's definately working with my radio... I want to put a bigger radio in line for bigger Swings... But on SSB I am constantly hitting the tubes with better than 20 Watts PEP ... The thing gets warm and keeps on Ticking!! I have been hitting about 1.3 to 1.4 KW on SSB without a Problem...

On the AM side I have been hitting about 650 Watts to 750 Watts .... With the Yugo tubes I was getting 500 to 600 Watts...

The Russian tubes... Their supposed to be even better, and I will give a report after I have tried them for sure!

Thanks all for the help!

KLV 2000's are way over priced H&Y sells them for $1500 they use 2 572B's most 2 572B amps I seen do about 1300-1500 Peak

Yeah for that price I would go with an Ameritron I think... But a 1.5 KW $700.00 Dollar linear for 11 Meters is the ticket when you take care to tube it right and pay attention to the set-up...

I worked Ohio last night on SSB and he was over 70 Miles away!! Giving him about an s-7 to s-8 on his Galaxy Saturn... We were both on our Verticals... He had a Maco 5/8 and I was using my Imax 2000...

Anyway... Just pay attention to the tubes and set-up and it will work great for you.

I took the Deadkey to 2 Watts today and the amp is Swinging to about 800 Watts RMS and PEP'ing 1400 Watts on SSB ...

A few days of this and than I will put the tube theory to rest for sure...

This KLV is performing flawlessly! :D

The dreaded "Pop" has not been experienced
I need to know about this phenomenon.
I have just came across a klv 1000 that has popped a tube twice so far. 2 owners ago a guy was tuning it up on a new antenna and accidentally keyed full radio power in and no more tube. The last owner was talking on it I am not sure mode or conditions and popped another tube (probably driving it harder than he should but I am not sure).

My question should I invest in a set of tubes from that eastern European country in the news so much and what Issues other than bad grounds are common on these units?

I need to know about this phenomenon.
I have just came across a klv 1000 that has popped a tube twice so far. 2 owners ago a guy was tuning it up on a new antenna and accidentally keyed full radio power in and no more tube. The last owner was talking on it I am not sure mode or conditions and popped another tube (probably driving it harder than he should but I am not sure).

My question should I invest in a set of tubes from that eastern European country in the news so much and what Issues other than bad grounds are common on these units?
I think production stopped on these right around the time of the original post. Perhaps @nomadradio knows better.
My opinion, they were cool 18 years ago when they were cheap. But for perspective, an ameritron al811h was $900. Now its ~$1500.
Interestingly the cb market's customers have not adjusted with the market. Their mentality is that boxes are still stuck in 1996 prices.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
Is it the 1000 or the 1000p?
The 1000 has one tube in front of the four to use much lower drive.
I think the P was 50 or 60watts drive , used 4 tubes and the other used 5 tubes and was 10 watts drive.

I think you can still get 509's for about $50.
If you look for tubes there is more than one version of the el-509, there are some smooth tops.

Jeff

Never could get the 5-tube version to behave. Would explode the driver tube. Made it a policy that the only repair we would do was to convert the 5-tube to a straight 4-tube version. Still had plenty of output, especially with a two-final "black" radio like a Saturn or 2517.

Whatever it was that made the fifth driver tube unstable, the failure was so quick I just gave up trying to explain or remedy it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.