• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Telex Turner RK56 sounds muffled!

Cityboy

Dec 25, 2008
I have a new RK56 that my buddies said sounds like it is muffled. So I cracked it open and looked at it as well as 2 of my buddies that sound great and the difference is that thier RK56 had a totally different capacitor. It was glossy and looked like a ceramic capacitor with the writings cm .1M 25v c and my RK56 had a tantalum capacitor with the markings 104 05k. This is the only difference that I can visually see besides the fact that my mic sounds like crap no matter which radio I use it with. Does anyone have any suggestion, I can't find the capacitor that my buddies have in their mic and I would love to fix mine. Thx for any help.

I have a new RK56 that my buddies said sounds like it is muffled. So I cracked it open and looked at it as well as 2 of my buddies that sound great and the difference is that thier RK56 had a totally different capacitor. It was glossy and looked like a ceramic capacitor with the writings cm .1M 25v c and my RK56 had a tantalum capacitor with the markings 104 05k. This is the only difference that I can visually see besides the fact that my mic sounds like crap no matter which radio I use it with. Does anyone have any suggestion, I can't find the capacitor that my buddies have in their mic and I would love to fix mine. Thx for any help.
They are both .1 caps, just different styles so just grab a .1 disc or 104 and you'll have the same and the voltage won't really matter for a mic, 16 to 25 volt.

I replaced the tantalum capacitor with a ceramic one of similiar value and it has helped out with the muffled sound. It still has a little bit of muffled sound as compared with my Skythumper ST-65. Thanks for the help mackmobile43.

I replaced the tantalum capacitor with a ceramic one of similiar value and it has helped out with the muffled sound. It still has a little bit of muffled sound as compared with my Skythumper ST-65. Thanks for the help mackmobile43.
You can experiment with different values and find the one that suits your taste.(y)

Rob KI6USW I used the same value as the stock capacitor that were my two other friends RK56. As far as the skythumper being louder you are most definitely correct. I have used it on many different radios and makes a big difference. As far as the RK56 being clearer than the Skythumper it is because you need to back the mic gain off a little and then it becomes just as clear but the modulation response is much better. It will make the radio swing even if you have to lower the mic gain. The only draw back to it is the switch, it is not quite the quality of the RK56 or Astatic 636l.

I've used the Telex/Turner Road King 56 for a dozen years. Not all radios and tunes are created equal. Some mic's sound better on some where others don't sound so good on others.

Although when it comes to AM only operations , I like cap/resistor mods. My bad. I also like a touch of echo/reverb in my presentation. With this type of set up on any radio (especially in the car) the RK-56 has been my choice for years.

With radios set up like this with a NC type mic , there has never been no need to go more then half way on any mic-gain control on given radio to sound good. (cap/resistor) on a tipically tuned radio only (no cap/resistor) , I would more then likely run my mic-gain full boat with a NC type mic.

I've used the 636 and the RK knock off CDL mic's and both sounded very good , even the knock offs did a fine job with audio and quality.Although I haven't used a skythumper , I'd bet they were not that much differance in quailty compared to the others.

All these mic's in my experiance also sounded well on SSB. I think alot has to do with given radio (s) and tunes on them for almost any given mic to sound as good as it's going to get. Power mic's have become a thing of the past for me , I just see no need for the way I personally run my radios for any of them. Even a good well made matched stock mic will get the jobs done quite well.

The RK-56 NC is a fine and proven microphone over the years. For sound , quality , looks and the feel in my hand , (y)

Switch kit I agree the RK56 is the one to beat throughout the years and it is still a very good microphone. The only thing I can say that in a mobile installation from my own experience with many, many radios on road is that most of the guys thought the RK56 choked the modulation a little. It made me sound deeper in tone but very clear. The Skythumper is definitely a RK56 knockoff except is uses better parts and the sound quality is much better than the CDL. The switch is quite a bit better than the CDL, it is metal body and styled like the older RK56 with the small spring. I replaced the switch immediately when I got it and it has a clear, rich tone that sounds way better than the CDL, and it makes the radio modulate easily as compared to the RK56. The lip guards tend to fall off so I hot glued mine with a little extra from inside the screen while I switch the switch out. Hands down no matter which radio I put the 2 on the Skythumper won, even a Sparkys' tuned, Walcott tuned, Clays radio and several other shops as well as brand new ones out of the box the Skythumper won in the loudness and clarity. I thing the construction and cord and stock switch is much better in the RK56, but the Skythumper is construction is pretty decent.

lip guards are gay, I rip every one I've ever owned off with a pair of pliers, yes they peel right off.

The intended purpose of the rk-56 was purely designed as a noise cancelling mic and with that you're gonna get a different sound due to the padding and shape of the element.

I always bypass that cap. That's what causes the nasal sound. Yeah it does suppress some background noise, but removing it doesn't bring in a lot. When you take out that cap, you get amazing audio. Its loud and clean.

I always leave the cap in, just move the one wire, just in case I want to put it back stock.

I find that the RK56 has better noise canceling the the ST. With the cap out, the RK56 does a better job keeping out the background noise.

the thing that really does most of the noise canceling job is the little transformer looking thing inside.

I also agree with the correct radio and mic combination for best audio. Some radios just don't sound right with some mics. Anther reason I leave that cap in there, some radio's sound better with that cap in line.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNDYtMjAxMDA1MTktMjEwM.jpg

Is this the capacitor that is bypassed?? I might try this...

The Jerk that is the only cap in the mic so it has to be the one that is bypassed. You can always put it back in if it doesn't work. Your cap looks like the one that I had and made my RK56 sound like crap.

The Jerk that is the only cap in the mic so it has to be the one that is bypassed. You can always put it back in if it doesn't work. Your cap looks like the one that I had and made my RK56 sound like crap.

Thanks, I'll probably play around with this once I get situated in the new place!

I always bypass that cap. That's what causes the nasal sound. Yeah it does suppress some background noise, but removing it doesn't bring in a lot. When you take out that cap, you get amazing audio. Its loud and clean.

I always leave the cap in, just move the one wire, just in case I want to put it back stock.

I find that the RK56 has better noise canceling the the ST. With the cap out, the RK56 does a better job keeping out the background noise.

the thing that really does most of the noise canceling job is the little transformer looking thing inside.

I also agree with the correct radio and mic combination for best audio. Some radios just don't sound right with some mics. Anther reason I leave that cap in there, some radio's sound better with that cap in line.

I just ruined a perfectly good RK-56 mic doing that.......I deserve the darwin award.:censored:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.