• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tennessee walker

Dec 22, 2006
hello can some tell what this box should do pep and rms and how much drive for the max out it has (6) 250b thanks its on ebay Item number: 190180964713

I would guess a maximum of 3500-4000 watts, but that's just a guess... With enough drive and juice it'd probably surpass 4kw.. I wouldn't run it higher than that personally tho. This would obviously require 220v connection. In theory it should pretty handily maul on a 16 pill.

Peace,
Josh

3500-4500 is right. but with out question these are the better built tube boxes out there. very reliable & well constucted and do produce the watts. the guys that build them also do high amperage & high watt switches too. if it has not been abused by the previous owner win that box and you will have the last box you would ever have to buy unless you wan't bigger. i have one and love it.

The 4CX250B is a nice little tube but is fairly fragile. A brief moment of over drive can wipe it out. I have seen spec sheets that state 300w and some that state 400w as usuable power output. Any amplifiers that I have seen,either commercial or home built for the ham bands, always state 300 watts pep as being the practical limit with power output up to nearly 500 watts if cooling is carefully controlled and the amp is not run at that power level for extended periods of time and not in AM or FM service. On 2m as little as 2w of drive can yield 300w output.The grids can only handle a couple watts so you have to be very carefull of drive levels unless you have a bucket of 4CX250's or a bucket of money. I would say the PROPER power output would be around 300 watts per tube if you want things to be clean and last a while. A six tuber should be good for about 2000 watts without going crazy with the thing.

2112 said:
hello can some tell what this box should do pep and rms and how much drive for the max out it has (6) 250b thanks its on ebay Item number: 190180964713
The six tube 4cx250r box I have will do 4000 to 4500 easy with no more than 4 to 5 watts drive. I normally run it keying around 2000 though. It is listed for sale here in the for sale section. I went to ebay to check on this one and it must have been pulled already.

Big John builds good boxes. From what I have learned, He was building Maco's stuff back in the day, but quite working for them back in 79. Now he has his own shop. I was down there before the holidays at his shop. I got to hold a 4CX20,000. This metal tube must have weighed 25 lbs. That thing was sweet.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I recently got a Tennessee walker with 2 250b inside and the guy I got it from was putting 250 into in on hi drive and getting 1500 average out.

I am new to tube amps and am wondering if that’s ok to do and what can you put into it on low drive?

thanks!

Reactions: Tokin
I recently got a Tennessee walker with 2 250b inside and the guy I got it from was putting 250 into in on hi drive and getting 1500 average out.

I am new to tube amps and am wondering if that’s ok to do and what can you put into it on low drive?

thanks!
Welcome to the forum! One of our many toob gurus will be with you shortly. Meanwhile pull up a seat and post some pics of your walker!

Reactions: Jay Mojave

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.