• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star Amp Repair free help

May 26, 2010
Escondido, CA
:bdh:
a quarter century with Texas Star, and I have been put to pasture.
I did tech support for about 10 years. I am sure that some of you must know me.
It is my intention now to help techs and hobiests to repair a stock TS amplifier. I am not an engineer and there are things which I will not debate. However, I can usually fix one and not to have it blow itself up again.

I have made the simplest of web pages which I invite you to. Go to the troubleshooting page and pick up some pointers.
You can e-mail me with questions. I really like a digital picture with your question as a picture can be worth a thousand words. I may be able to recognize modifications or vintage of manufacture, or maybe even see a short or open from the pic.
I will try to come in here occasionally and look at the threads.

Remember, when you replace transistors on a Texas Star amp you need to check the bias circuit or you may just blow the replacement finals.
1 extra minute is all I suggest. Read the bias resistance, then manually key up and read the bias voltages.
GO to YouTube and look for Texas star Amp Repair
you will find manual key-up procedure and bias check procedure.

My name is Mike and I hope that I can help some of you.

TexasStarRepair@cox.net
Home Page

I Asked Mike If we could put a link up to his site, and if he would be willing to come over and have a look at the forum.
He has graciously said yes, and I want to Thank Him for coming over and offering his help to the Members.
This post is going to be sticky'ed to the top for easy access.

If you guys will visit Mike`s Home Page( link at the bottom of his first post), and Have a Look At his Trouble Shooting Section, you will find an awesome Guide on how to troubleshoot T/S amps, with step by Step Details , what to look for and do, as well as how to test transistors in the Amps and lots More great Info.

Again, Thanks Mike, and Welcome to the Forum!

Jeff

I checked out your youtube posts on the amp diagnosis, Cool, I am going to check my 250 HDV tonight. I never did get it fixed. I searched more on the TS amps on youtube and seen how they are supposed to work correctly. I see that on ssb the relay clicks on and stays on while talking, then it clicks off a split second after talking stops. Mine always clicked on and off fast with my peaks and lows of my voice. People said they would here my clicking while I talked but other than that it sounded great.

Now the amp chatters fast all the time. It never worked like it should.

The one youtube vidio says there is a resistor or capacitor that holds the relay in so it dont chatter while ssbing.

AP

Last edited:
thanks all, glad to help where I can

Airplane
email me direct with a clear digital picture of the amp board.

all of our amps had a 1000 uF electrolytic cap behind relay.
There should be a delay on and off switch.

Describe your problem in the e-mail and we will go from there.
Mike

Reactions: Randy Daley
hello mike, welcome to the forum,

i just had a quick look at your troubleshooting guide and noticed an error in how to check pills,
very few modern meters will test pills on the ohm scale, modern ohm meters won't turn the junctions on and and won't read around 600ohms on a good junction,
the usual method is to use the diode test function and look for .500 - .600 volts or slightly higher,
im sure its a typo but it could have people thinking they have blown pills when they are ok.

Thank You....

How could we be so fortunate enough to have to have a REAL amplifier Builder ?????

This is a gift from the "RF" GODS........

118 SuperStation,,,,, Nashville Tn.

Proud owner of a 667v and a DX500

My Savior and Only Amp Man........

It's a beautiful thing having you here with us, Mike.

I just wanted to thank you for the extremely fast repair you did on my 667.
I am getting ready to send the dx 500 we have talked about previously.
It will go out Monday for you to wave your RF wand,,,, over it....

I Will Say This... If your out here and your not using this service,,,,, YOUR MISSING OUT. :oops: :eek:

I will send you a note when the 500 goes out.

Thank You Again Mike.

Jerry - Nashville Tn.
118 Super Station

I recently purchased a Texas Star 350 amp off the net. It seemed to be working OK but looked as if it had been around awhile. After taking a peek inside and looking at the dates on some of the components it was evident that was at least fifteen years old. Not knowing its history combined with its age I decided that a trip across a good technician’s bench for a checkup was in order. Yes I know this might be overkill but that’s just the way I roll. Anyway, after some searching I found this tech located in California. His resume states that he has worked for Texas Star and Galaxy for the past twenty years and had started his own business repairing TS amps. We corresponded via emails for several days and he said that he would give it a full bench check and make all necessary minor repairs for twenty five bucks plus ten more for shipping. He also said that if it needed any major work done he would contact me with a quote prior to starting so I decided to give this guy a shot. I boxed up my amp and sent it to him by priority mail.
Several days later he called a said that he received my amp that morning and had given it a complete once over, parameter checks, o-scope, load test etc. He went on to say that everything was performing satisfactorily with an AM output of 210 watts and a SSB PEP of 350 plus. He also stated that he had performed one minor upgrade consisting of a couple feedback resistor changes and replaced the power leads as well. Then he said that he had already boxed it back up and would be shipping it to me that afternoon (Priority mail also).
I got the amp back as promised and it working just fine. This guy was fair, honest, knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with plus gave me a same day turn around. So if you have a TS amp that is in need of repair or just bench tested I suggest you give this guy a try. He seems to be a straight shooter based on my experience.

You can find him at:

Home Page

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.