• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The ARF 2001 CB AM/SSB BASE STATION

Master Chief said:
Nope. I had one and ended up getting rid of it as it didn't work as well as my Cobra 2000.

The -only- reason an ARF2001 might fetch a higher price than any other transceiver of its day is due to the fact that ~1000 of them were built.

Their design was slightly different than some other manufacturer's hardware but the net effect was a rig whose AM performance was less than stellar.

Smart money spent, for those who want a CB rig that's 'different from the rest':

DAK XI (AM) or X (AM/SSB)

Stoner PRO-40 (SSB) (Also less than 1000 made and a MUCH better rig than the ARF...)

Realistic TRC459 (AM/SSB)

CPI 2000 w/ accessories (AM/SSB)

GE 3-5879(?) 'Superbase' (AM/SSB)

Royce 1-642 (AM/SSB)

Midland 78-999 (AM/SSB)

Browning and Tram stuff excepted, because ANY of it will fetch collector prices. I also excluded the Cobra 2000; there are a gazillion of them out there and as such aren't so much a collector's piece as one of a user's - albeit a good one.

As for me...I would put part of the $1800 towards any one of the CB rigs listed above then use the remainder to buy a nice Kenwood TS-930 or -940...

Reactions: Sonar
N8YX said:
The -only- reason an ARF2001 might fetch a higher price than any other transceiver of its day is due to the fact that ~1000 of them were built.

Their design was slightly different than some other manufacturer's hardware but the net effect was a rig whose AM performance was less than stellar.

Smart money spent, for those who want a CB rig that's 'different from the rest':

DAK XI (AM) or X (AM/SSB)

snip

This is what I remember from the 80s. If I wanted SSB performance, the Yaesu 757GXII was a better radio (along with the Kenwood 140 or 440).

I also have a DAK XI. It looks cool but what a POS as far as a radio goes!

Master Chief said:
N8YX said:
This is what I remember from the 80s. If I wanted SSB performance, the Yaesu 757GXII was a better radio (along with the Kenwood 140 or 440).

I also have a DAK XI. It looks cool but what a POS as far as a radio goes!

The DAK X was a good performer...at least, the ones I operated seemed to be. (They used the ubiquitous HyGain V chassis and had all of its inherent capabilites - as well as its weaknesses.)

The XI was a different animal altogether. A friend had one which worked well - as the result of careful tuning. I'm not sure what - if anything - was done to the rig's IF stages to enhance adjacent channel rejection. IIRC, the X was a little better than the XI in that regard.

Ditto re: 757, 440, etc. I have a '440 and (comparatively speaking, of course) it's a much better rig on all modes except AM than even the most expensive CB set - all things considered. If one pays close attention to carrier level and mic-gain adjustments they can be made to work nicely on AM, though they're not as 'punchy' as a high-level-modulated rig is.

I don't like the 140 and the 680 for the same reason that I don't like the Icom 730...those darned slide controls. :x

That's only the Buy it Now Price

The ARF 2001 is one cool radio. Does anyone else here have one for sale? I see that it's an auction, so maybe it will sell for less. 73s, Checkerboard

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Re: That's only the Buy it Now Price

Checkerboard said:
The ARF 2001 is one cool radio. Does anyone else here have one for sale? I see that it's an auction, so maybe it will sell for less. 73s, Checkerboard

Having owned a couple:

The ARF 2001 can be had for approximately 350 dollars a piece from Reno, Nv. You can buy a pair of them and pay 500 dollars.

I bought mine, new, IN THE BOX, for 350, with the manual. One of the original engineers from ARF purchased a pawn shop, and had >200 radios, SILL IN THE BOX.

--Toll_Free

Re: That's only the Buy it Now Price

Toll_Free said:
Checkerboard said:

Having owned a couple:

The ARF 2001 can be had for approximately 350 dollars a piece from Reno, Nv. You can buy a pair of them and pay 500 dollars.

I bought mine, new, IN THE BOX, for 350, with the manual. One of the original engineers from ARF purchased a pawn shop, and had >200 radios, SILL IN THE BOX.

--Toll_Free

The "rare" ARF 2001 CB radio "new in the box" for only $350.00 ????

Sounds "too good to be true".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.