1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

The next generation of linear amplifiers has arrived.

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by Shockwave, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

Two years of research and eight months of development have resulted in an entirely new (patent pending) linear amplifier circuit. Using the latest output device, a prototype has been constructed and tested. The basic specifications are it's solid state and effortlessly produces 750 watts CW or PEP from a single stage. It has variable bias from class C to class AB linear. It has an adjustable attenuator on its input that can turn all the way down to zero watts of output, where all exciter power is then dissipated into an internal dummy load. It has full electronic protection that continuously monitors everything from heat sink temperature to drain current on the PA. In the event that any fault is detected, this circuit has lightning fast response and will trigger the protection while removing the drive and returning to "barefoot" operation. To reset, just turn the power switch off and back on. Two front panel meters measure relative output and drain current.

While it has some nice features, there is really nothing new mentioned yet. Here is where it starts getting interesting. The amplifier fits inside a package that is 7 inches deep, 7 inches wide, 5 inches tall and weighs just 5 pounds. The entire amplifier only consumes the bottom 2 inches of this space and the top 3 inches are all rows of heatsink fins. Still not impressed? How about it's a base linear amplifier that is so efficient that a 5 amp 125 volt AC fuse can support its full PEP output! It is by far the smallest, lightest and most efficient base amplifier in this power class, ever constructed. Please do not contact me for sales. I'm only the designer and not the builder. Within days a video will be posted on YouTube demonstrating this new technology and providing more details. A full range of test equipment with all interconnecting cables will be in clear view to remove any possible doubt. If you're expecting internal views of the new circuit, that information is obviously guarded and much of the circuitry that could be potted, is.

#1 Shockwave, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019

2. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Does this mean my brain would also need to potted to believe it's real?

This alone makes it sound like just another "secret sauce".

Color me skeptical.

Just noticed. Did you really mean "obliviously" guarded?

Or is it just the word "obvious" misspelled?

I'm gonna skip all the smart-a$$ed stuff that the word "oblivious" suddenly conjures up.

Redbeard U812, unit_399, NZ8N and 3 others like this.
  3. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

You don't know me very well so save your comments until after the video is posted this weekend and yes, spell check got me good on that one.

AudioShockwav likes this.
  4. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

I'd like to think I'm better acquainted with the physics of RF amplifiers better than I'm acquainted with you, for sure.

If it's as convincing as the "free power" generator videos, that's cool too. Hiding the battery to run a motor from your "free power magic energy coil" is not that tough.

The only real proof of the pudding is a schemo.

Lacking that, or even a decent block diagram it's just another video sleight-of-hand.

Well, potentially.

A 5-Amp fuse should not be put on a steady load more than 4 Amps.

4 Amps times 120 Volts is 480 Watts we can reasonably pull out of the wall socket.

Total efficiency of an amplifier and its power supply together can be pushed to 50 percent. Higher, if you're really good.

But a power source of 480 Watts won't be delivering 750 Watts of CW RF.

Not until the magic zero-point free-energy coil is perfected.

5. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

You do seem funny to someone that has the well tested (5 hours tonight alone) linear sitting right in front of me on the bench. You really think I don't know how to calculate input watts versus output watts with amps and volts? I never said the amplifier only draws 5 amps. I said a 5 amp fuse can easily support 750 watts of PEP output from this device. Peak current doesn't stress the fuse and is why I didn't say CW. Being that it is electronically protected ,the fuse never even gets an opportunity to burn out. You may want to hold your skepticism for a few days to prevent any embarrassment when you see what has never been done before is now a reality.

6. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

well this is going to be interesting regardless of what happens next!

Im very intrigued as both of you guys are among the most knowledgeable people i know of when it comes to RF amplifiers.

Just for the sake of clarity i will post a couple of quotes that might be causing some confusion between you.

Shockwave posted:

"The basic specifications are it's solid state and effortlessly produces 750 watts CW or PEP from a single stage."

Nomad posted:

"But a power source of 480 Watts won't be delivering 750 Watts of CW RF. "

Shockwave replied:

" I never said the amplifier only draws 5 amps. I said a 5 amp fuse can easily support 750 watts of PEP output from this device. Peak current doesn't stress the fuse and is why I didn't say CW."

now i don't claim to be in the know with all of this, but it does seem like this might be part of the issue here.
    LC

unit_399, NZ8N and 357magnum like this.
  7. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

With respect to my claim regarding efficiency, what you've pointed out is key to making what I've said possible. Peak excursions are obviously closer to 10 amps but that's not the average demand placed on the AC line or fuse. To me, the efficiency is not nearly the most remarkable thing about the new design. Size and weight make it so versatile that it can be easily used in the base and mobile with just an inexpensive power inverter.

AudioShockwav likes this.
  8. blasphemy000

blasphemy000 Active Member

You lost me at potted circuitry. If I buy something like that, it needs to be user serviceable or at the very least allow me to see what is inside it. If people get determined to copy it, they're just going to de-pot the board. I've seen it done before so that's not much of a deterrent, and is only costing the builder more to build them. Just my opinion though, I'm still interested to see it's testing video.

Now, fitting that much power in such a tiny box, while being line powered is I'ma feat. I'm going to guess that it's powered directly from the line, maybe? I know Microsemi has some parts specifically for this like the ARF447 and some others, I think. Apologies if I'm way off base here, but, to me, the designing and engineering that goes into building radios and amps is just as interesting as using them, sometimes more.

73s

NZ8N likes this.
  9. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Sure looks to me like you said 750 watts CW or PEP and that a 5 amp fuse would support full output of that in CW mode.

10. blasphemy000

I forgot to ask, is this a multi-bander or just a single band?

543_Dallas likes this.
  11. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

5 amps for 750 watts...

Hmm...750 watts = V x I = or 150 volts...

Try to get that out of a Toyota Hybird - like a Prius...

People have been electrocuted with less current using a Shaver in the morning - too close to a bathtub...

Redbeard U812 likes this.
  12. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

Looks like he said "5 amp 125 volt AC fuse can support its full PEP output!" I took that to mean PEP not CW... I guess we have to put words in his mouth and make an example out of this guy.

The pep / cw thing has always been a problem for amp critics. "That amp can't make xx pep because the power supply is only xx". The last guy I axed to look at the meters on his power supply when talking on his ham rig got mad.

How about those k7dyy transmitters. Not a linear amplifier but if the idea had been posted here in the beginning he would have been a laughing stock.

AudioShockwav, Shockwave and NZ8N like this.
  13. blasphemy000

I took it as PEP power also, but since he said it's also capable of the same CW power, a larger fuse would be required for that mode, so why bother mentioning that it can do the PEP with only a 5 amp fuse? It doesn't seem like it's worth mentioning. Also, how is it being measured? Is it 750W PEP of a 4:1 AM signal with a continuous single tone? Is it 750W PEP of a two-tone SSB signal? The continuous power in those cases is significantly different. Why don't we wait until we see the video and the testing methods used before we go off on the guy?

14. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

If you are smart do not patent the circuitry, Copy right is the way to go.
    A patent is not worth the money for patent process takes. If you catch someone using your design "Enforcement of your intellectual Property rights" lays solely at your feet.
    The Government does nothing. You have to go to court and get a cease and desist order and that is if the judge believes you have grounds.(Civil Court)
    Copyright infringement IS enforced by the government at no cost to you because it becomes a criminal case.

AudioShockwav, Marconi, NZ8N and 3 others like this.
  15. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

He does state it is a base unit. 120 AC volts rectified and filtered will read 170 Vdc and at 5 Amps gives you 850 Watts. But of course those are unloaded voltages.
    If you take 120 Vac and full wave rectified will be plenty of power.

AudioShockwav, NZ8N and Shockwave like this.