1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

The next generation of linear amplifiers has arrived.

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by Shockwave, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

Here is the exact quote " a 5 amp 125 volt AC fuse can support its full PEP output". While I said it can do 750 PEP or CW, nothing I said indicates a 5 amp fuse would hold at 750 watts CW.

2. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

I designed several different circuits using this technology. As it turns out, covering 160 to 10 meters with any degree of flatness over that spectrum in broadband push-pull is a task. The size will also have to expand in order to fit several low pass filters into the cabinet. It is in progress.

Since the first goal was to demonstrate the drastic size reduction, I oped to go with a mono-band strip line circuit for the first demonstration. This is also one of the reasons the circuit runs more efficient in addition to the device output impedance being almost a direct match to 50 ohms at full output.

AudioShockwav and Farmer Brown like this.
  3. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

I sure understand the concern about servicing a potted circuit. The good news is we are confident enough with the protection circuits ability to prevent failures that is it likely the unit will come with a lifetime warranty. I just have to try and blow it up a a few more ways but so far, I've not be able to do that from the outside.

#18 Shockwave, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. blasphemy000

blasphemy000 Active Member

When I was researching the ARF447A/B parts out of curiosity, that was one of the benefits that Microsemi was quoting with that part, an easier output match to 50R. I might have to order a couple of them up and have a play around when I get time. I'd be interested in what FETs you guys used in your designs.

5. blasphemy000

blasphemy000 Active Member

Lifetime warranties are great, but if something happens far down the line, and the company is no longer around, or parts are unavailable, that limits the end user to be able to do any homebrew repairs and such. I'm a right-to-repair advocate, it's just something I'm passionate about. Can't wait to see your testing video. Good luck!

6. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Well to be perfectly honest it sounds like back tracking to me. When you make a statement like you did it sure IMPLIES that a 5 amp fuse will handle full rated output of 750 watts CW. You may not have STATED it directly but it surely was IMPLIED.

NZ8N likes this.
  7. sunbulls

sunbulls Sr. Member

I for one will avoid buying anything electrical that has potted circuitry. No, it’s not all about serviceability either. It’s also about the insatiable curiosity that many of us have in knowing what make things tick, plus making possible design modifications on our own in the future. Even if you're successful, your amp will still leave a sour legacy of being "one of those miserable potted products."

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  8. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

But apparently not on that 5-Amp fuse.

NZ8N likes this.
  9. nomadradio

A patent is a pretty wall decoration.

None of the patents with my name on them has amounted to more than that.

In all fairness, they do say "coinventor". At least it wasn't my money that went to the patent lawyers and filing fees.

A patent is a license to sue. If you have a million bucks to spend on lawyers, it could be worth that much.

And if you have about ten bucks for legal fees, a patent is worth no more than that.

Marconi and NZ8N like this.
  10. nomadradio

Watts is Watts. To get that 850 Watts of rectified DC you'l need more than 5 Amps from the AC source.

NZ8N and Captain Kilowatt like this.
  11. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

170 Vdc with no transformer restrictions and full wave rectifier will give you 850 watts at 5 amps. 170Vdc * 5 amps = 850 watts

Shockwave likes this.
  12. Tallman

And it is a poor back up for toilette paper. I had numerous patents filed for by companies I worked for. No royalties, nothing. They did not even buy me a beer.
    They said it was designed as part of employment duties and my compensation was my paycheck.

13. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

Again, read what I actually said and not what you wish I said to pick apart: " a 5 amp 125 volt AC fuse can support its full PEP output".

14. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Now you know why the debate interrupted by the Civil War of, “should an American work for another American”, took place.

Bet they didn’t allow a beer at lunch, an ashtray on your desk, or criticism of company methods.

It was all foreseeable. And via that act of creation, a Pure D bullshit claim of ownership.

undertaker and Tallman like this.
  15. Tallman

It was an EMPIRE run by one. Any dissension and your next paycheck came from the unemployment agency.

Slowmover and NZ8N like this.