1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

The next generation of linear amplifiers has arrived.

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by Shockwave, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

Good idea. Maybe I'll add some to the protection and bias boards. Do you happen to know what the breakdown voltage of the diode is after this modification, or should I test that?

2. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

I knew it was well over 8 Volts DC. That's all it would encounter on that chip. Looking at them with a magnifier afterwards found a gap or loose crumbs inside.

How much more than 8 Volts they would take and remain an open circuit is anybody's guess.

3. BlowinSmoke

BlowinSmoke Active Member

The designer claims that other than the PS technology everything else in the box has never been done before. This is huge. This is obviously some kind of break-thru technology and it seems like the CB amp market will move ahead into the future of solid state. No more 3CX3000 amps. This is going to leave the hams in the dark ages. Not really sure which is the bigger and better market.

4. L2

L2 Well-Known Member

Is there a video yet?

5. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

See page 4 for video links.

AudioShockwav and L2 like this.
  6. L2

L2 Well-Known Member

Thanks

Looks very interesting.

I'll take one.:D

CB590 and Shockwave like this.
  7. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

Actually, I've avoided mentioning anything about how the new power supply works and the potential market includes everything from HF communications to ISM and RF generator applications extending into VHF. Prior to this video, no one has ever seen a 750 watt base linear that fits inside a footprint that is 7" wide, 7" deep and 2 inches tall (less heatsink fins).

#67 Shockwave, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    AudioShockwav likes this.
  8. CB590

CB590 W9WDX Member

Hopefully not 3-4 x 90w Targus laptop supplies wrapped up in there.

Sorry had to..

Seem very interesting. I subscribed..

9. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

I assure you the power supply used here is far more rugged than that.

10. nomadradio

Your numbers suggest a power supply with 90 percent efficiency or more.

That's the holy grail now in power supply design. Mostly it's been the battery-power applications where I'm seeing new design tricks for this. Higher regulator efficiency means longer battery life, or a smaller battery to get the same usage level. Higher rectifier efficiency is an even bigger deal for low-voltage stuff. Using MOSFETs switched to make them act as rectifiers is the next big thing. The lower voltage drop is a bigger deal the lower your output voltage is. Makes the design more complicated. Replacing four diodes with four MOSFETs and a controller chip is more complex, but reduces circuit losses.

I'm accustomed to the semiconductor supplier being the party who comes up with new tricks and breakthrough design ideas. A company who invests the up-front cost of developing a breakthrough component that outperforms the competition now has a major incentive. To sell as many of them as possible as soon as possible.

Hence, the Motorola "applications reference" circuits for their RF power transistors back in the day.

I'm a bit surprised that I haven't seen a hint of how you'll do this in Electronic Design, Power Electronics or EDN. That's where new parts tend to be introduced to the world, along with the applications info. Power supply efficiency is a big deal now, especially with the emerging requirements for PFC. That's a wacky thing to achieve all by itself. Never mind how it hammers your overall efficiency.

But unless you have a personal semiconductor factory in your back pocket. the techniques inside your power supply design have probably been broadcast as widely as the parts manufacturer can spread them.

They're interested in "design wins". Persuading design engineers to use their stuff to make breakthrough widgets that will sell by the millions.

So you'll buy their parts by the millions.

Hmm.

Shadetree Mechanic and Crusher like this.
  11. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

The left half of my brain wants to blab about every stage from the line cord to the output connector while the right half reminds me to keep my mouth shut before I place my interests and investment at risk.

12. nomadradio

If it's truly that unique, consider who will be first in line to buy the first batch.

The ones who want to know what's inside.

13. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

It's unique enough that no one will say they have ever seen a 750 watt base linear in its size before. Your valid point has been well considered. Every attempt has been made to protect my intellectual property. Even though a provisional patent wasn't that expensive, I know its limitations. That's why I appreciated the earlier poster's comment regarding copywrite protection as well as your diode installation tips.

14. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Stuck this to the top.
    Very interesting.

Jeff

15. kc8adu

kc8adu Active Member

the use of mosfets as rectifiers is nothing new.
    motherboard vrm have been doing it over 20 years.
    synchronous rectification.