• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

This One is for C W Morse

C2

Aug 3, 2005
Your CB woes may come to an end...

"As a positive side effect of the BPL proposal, if accepted and approved by the FCC, BPL will work to the FCC's advantage. BPL will significantly reduce, or limit and possibly even eliminate communications all together, on the citizens band (CB Radio) frequencies. Which as we all know the FCC has had egg on their faces for years now due to screwing up and giving the common Joe the right to own and operate an unlicensed CB Radio. It just so happens that it will also reduce much of the 10 and 12 meter licensed amateur radio bands, so what I say, so be it! All the FCC has to do is simply remove those bands from the licensed amateur radio services.

If as we understand it, BPL will provide low income families an opportunity to have low cost access to the internet, as one of the many benefits, it would also eliminate 60 plus percent of the complaints the FCC receives on a yearly basis in regards to radio, telephone and television interference caused by CB Radio operators. Reduced complaints, means fewer field operations, resulting in the need to reduce staff and ultimately reducing the operational costs for the FCC.

By approving the BPL proposal it not only will help the FCC out of a problematic situation which they created in the first place (referencing CB Radio), it would also help them financially, where as they can then focus on other more pressing issues, such as homeland security."
[/quote]

LOL :D
That is toooo funny, let`s start with the one that makes me chuckle the most:

it would also eliminate 60 plus percent of the complaints the FCC receives on a yearly basis in regards to radio, telephone and television interference caused by CB Radio operators.

This will cause Increased complaints to the FCC about High Powered CB radio stations smashing the signal on the BPL network, along with TV, Phone and radio.....
Lets face it whoever wrote this sadly underestimates the "common Joe" and his ability to "Get Over" the interference with a bigger box.
Got 6 s units of interference?
Lets fire up my daveforce driving my sweeptubearfic 750, and we can talk just like neighbor`s! :D
(wonder how much stray RF that new BPL modem can take?)
As for 10 and 12 meters, 10 is a big chunk of ham real estate, that will not go away easly.
Besides, they run 100 watt exciters and Alpha amps (hehehe), and the rule says
"the minium amount of power to maintain reliable comunictaions"
Hey, If I need to run legal limit to get through the noise level........
I really think BPL will fail on its own, but what do I know? :D

Jeff

The noise affects your ability to hear. It will not matter how much you crank up the juice, unless your just considering local traffic.

Even then, the guys around here run 1/2 KW boxes, and they dont get up much past 9. It could probably still work, but it would kill DX. Your not going to hear anything...until you fry the BPL modem, of course.

It was a state senator speaking, supposedly at an ARRL conference.

Well than if 10,11,12 meters are trashed what will C.W. have to moan and groan about??
Mabe the fact that his beloved FCC let it happen in the first place? Naw that would make too much sense?

f

When the skip is rolling, most of the folks on the other end hit me with alot more than 6 on the richter scale. If BPL stops me and the locals about 30 miles away from talking, we'll just have to put alot more fire in the wire. :LOL:
I hear some folks will be doing what ever it takes to put the BPL lines outta' business... :twisted:

LoneWolf TN

Re: f

LoneWolf TN said:
When the skip is rolling, most of the folks on the other end hit me with alot more than 6 on the richter scale. If BPL stops me and the locals about 30 miles away from talking, we'll just have to put alot more fire in the wire. :LOL:
I hear some folks will be doing what ever it takes to put the BPL lines outta' business... :twisted:

LoneWolf TN

And what does more "fire in the wire" do if you can't HEAR the other fellow? At 30 miles, and a BPL node on the pole outside your house, you AIN'T gonna do nuttin'!

Now, no one has talked about the positives in this and the things that are coming TO and BEYOND BPL. There is a huge theory that BPL will die as fast as it came on. WHY? Ever think about all those cell towers in your neighborhood? Don't think for a minute those cell guys aren't working to get a slice of the information pie! :) It already exists in some areas. BPL is a "fad". Some electric companies are now bailing OUT of BPL once they tried it and found that competition will eat BPL's lunch. There's gonna be so many communications options out there, it ain't funny! And BPL is obsolete before it even started. It's why Japan and other countries didn't even let it get off the ground! For the BPL systems that remain, technology exists to squelch the noise generated by BPL.
While, yes, there will be BPL, there is also BGL, too. (Broadband over gas lines), WiFi, digi-cell that use cell towers,
and computers in the palm of your hand (Your cell phone!).

BPL will cause trouble in the short term, then DIE like the good, obedient dog it is! :D

CWM

CW, I thought you died...or got banned?

In the inner city, bpl has no purpose. In the country, it will run astray like most dogs...have fun.

I quit!

bpl should not have been or will be allowed . it will be decremental not only for 10/12 meter and CB but will also effect the police and emergency frequencies . i am a ham radio operator and have been on CB since 1976 . i will be the first person to say the fcc allocated wattage of 4 watts for CB is way inadequate , at a minimum CB base operation should be set at 100 watts and CB mobile operation at 250 watts . if and when the bpl comes into an area an a CB AND a ham radio operator has to start using 5000 watts to talk 20 miles and wipe out every tv & telephone in the county and when the fcc starts raising hell about it , it will be time to send the fcc a letter and say '' well it is your own fault , you are the one who allowed bpl'' .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.