• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

thoughts on the chinese units

GLR

Keeping It Good Natured
Oct 9, 2007
Anyone have any experience with the Chinese made units that are being sold all over ebay? I've read some good reviews of a few of them, particularly the Feidaxin models. I know you pretty much have to purchase them from overseas but it seems a lot of them are operating in the US.

Thoughts?

Anyone have any experience with the Chinese made units that are being sold all over ebay? I've read some good reviews of a few of them, particularly the Feidaxin models. I know you pretty much have to purchase them from overseas but it seems a lot of them are operating in the US.

Thoughts?

There are a few people around here who use them on MURS and FRS and all of them say they work great.I personally haven't used one but may buy a set to play with.

Carmen

Why would you want one? Their first class junk. Whats wrong with Yaesu or kenwood?

Are you speaking from first hand experience or just bashing because it seemed like the thing to do? I've read nothing but great reviews about them and the price is very reasonable.

Whats wrong with Yaesu or kenwood?

Made in China?

Actually, I don't know, but are they?

If they are, I'll take the Kenwood, but with the Feidaxin label, please.

Face it, we already had a hard enough time with counterfiets. Now that we have exported all of our mfg there, what's the difference, besides price?

Are you speaking from first hand experience or just bashing because it seemed like the thing to do? I've read nothing but great reviews about them and the price is very reasonable.

Ever notice how often those great reviews are written by a newbie that was looking for a cheap alternative to a KenYaeCom HT? Everything is great when you have nothing to compare it too. Most of those radios are NOT type accepted for use in the USA BTW.That is not an issue on the ham bands but using them for GMRS or MURS would be illegal. BTW the standing joke about the KYD brand is that KYD stands for Keep Your Dollars. :D

Quote from Eham review-

Remember, these are not FCC type A so you can probably use them outside the USA but I'd probably think twice before using them with a FCC license on the line. Anyway, these products are just above "toy" status but the progress on quality is moving at a fast clip - very typical of "lets copy someone else's product". Eventually, maybe 3 years, you'll see new brands popping up WITH fcc type acceptance -for sure. just a matter of time.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6220

Ever notice how often those great reviews are written by a newbie that was looking for a cheap alternative to a KenYaeCom HT? Everything is great when you have nothing to compare it too. Most of those radios are NOT type accepted for use in the USA BTW.That is not an issue on the ham bands but using them for GMRS or MURS would be illegal. BTW the standing joke about the KYD brand is that KYD stands for Keep Your Dollars. :D

The other comment above yours that just said "illegal" does not tell the whole truth but you have explained the situation on that. You could be correct that the reviews are just written by first time owners but considering you can pick one up brand new for $60ish you have to understand why they are attractive. I suppose no one here has actual experience with them though.

Yes they have to be type accepted to be sold in USA for Ham.

Tired of junk knockoffs.

to be sold sure but to use them I was under the impression they did not have to be type accepted

I'm not normally of fan of "junk knockoffs" either but if these units are decent they absolutely would have a place as a back up / beater unit.

The Type acceptance only pertains to certain devices and I believe bands. I was told by a man that handles Type acceptances that VHF/UHF FM handhelds for Amatuer Use have to meet a type acceptance to legally be marketed in the USA. Alinco,ICOM,Kenwood and Yaesu every model has been type accepted.

I have read that the devices have to be tested for signal purity and fall under certain regulations. Below is a copy from the FCC site for "Equipment Authorization" for Radio Shack to sell the HTX-202-

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS
COMMISSION
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20554

GRANT OF EQUIPMENT
AUTHORIZATION COPY Notification
RadioShack Corporation
300 RadioShack Circle, Mail Stop WF4-136
Fort Worth, TX 76102-2802
United States Date of Grant: 07/16/1991

Application Dated: 06/20/1991 Attention: Pat Loehr , Regulatory Affairs Manager
NOT TRANSFERABLE EQUIPMENT AUTHORIZATION is hereby issued to the named GRANTEE, and is VALID ONLY for the equipment identified hereon for use under the Commission's Rules and Regulations listed below.
FCC IDENTIFIER: AAO19-1120

Name of Grantee: RadioShack Corporation

Equipment Class: Communications Rcvr for use w/ licensed Tx and CBs Notes: Transceiver
Grant Notes FCC Rule Parts Frequency
Range (MHZ) Output
Watts Frequency
Tolerance Emission
Designator 37 15B 144.0 - 148.0

37: This device has shown compliance with new rules adopted under Docket 87-389 and is not affected by Section 15.37, transition rule.

The FCC does require cerification for VHF/UHF amateur radios. Here is a quote from an NAL that was sent to a guy selling them- http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-268422A1.html

"[e]xcept as provided elsewhere in this section, no person
shall sell or lease, or offer for sale or lease (including advertising for
sale or lease), or import, ship or distribute for the purpose of selling
or leasing or offering for sale or lease, any radio frequency device
unless in the case of a device subject to certification such device has
been authorized by the Commission . . . ."

Radio transceivers operating in the 136 MHz - 174 MHz and the 400 MHz -
470 MHz bands are subject to the equipment certification process and must
be certified and properly labeled prior to being marketed or sold in the
United States.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated