• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TNT Amps

Quiksilver

Oct 23, 2006
Washington State, USA
TNT any good? Better that a Texas Star? Mostly SSB work..

163-76.JPG

TNT 600hd

Transistors 4 x 2SC2879
Dimensions H 4 3/4' x L 11' x W 6 3/4'
Amp Draw (maximum) 100
Class B biasing
SSB Delay yes
Pre-amp yes
Driver Required TNT 250 (optional)
Power Output (RMS) 300 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 625 Watts
Driven Power (RMS) 400 Watts
Driven Power (PEP) 1000 Watts
install recommended with 4ga wire
and 125a fuse. Max input carrier of
20w or 300w max carrier from amp.
Max peak input 240w.

TNT any good? Better that a Texas Star? Mostly SSB work..

163-76.JPG

TNT 600hd

Transistors 4 x 2SC2879
Dimensions H 4 3/4' x L 11' x W 6 3/4'
Amp Draw (maximum) 100
Class B biasing
SSB Delay yes
Pre-amp yes
Driver Required TNT 250 (optional)
Power Output (RMS) 300 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 625 Watts
Driven Power (RMS) 400 Watts
Driven Power (PEP) 1000 Watts
install recommended with 4ga wire
and 125a fuse. Max input carrier of
20w or 300w max carrier from amp.
Max peak input 240w.

Yes but they will over heat in ssb mode/No, texas star is the better deal.

TNT any good?
Well for being just a class B, there OK, but of course, anything that is AB will be better.

Being they have a fan, they do stay fairly cool. I would run mine in the summer, then switch it out to a Messenger in the winter (Messenger has no fan), so it ran good in the truck through the winter.

If your thinking of working mostly ssb, I really don't think you would have to have anything over a 400. A good antenna and 300/400 watts is pretty much all one would need if working 11 m.

I know this is an old post but felt compelled to give my 2 cents. I have this exact same amp (HD 600). All I can say is with the recent 11 M skip activity, I've not had much trouble with getting my name called all over. I've worked folks on channels 20, 26, 28.....all on AM, I've worked several Canada stations, one NY station, a few South Carolina stations....all on 38 LSB....but my biggest accomplishment (so I think) is being able to work at least 2 stations on channel 11 AM, both in Florida. Pretty much everyone gives me good reports on sound quality.

I use a Magnum 257HP to drive my HD 600 and I use a 108 inch steel whip (from MFJ enterprises) to radiate the signal. When skip wasn't rolling I've worked folks 40 miles away, again with my mobile set up.

Someone mentioned this amp will overheat....I've kept a close eye on mine and never once has mine overheated. At best, this sucker will kill the engine on my truck unless I give the engine a little bit of gas. My truck is fuel injected and I believe it may be stray RF causing the injectors to open more than they're supposed to. Or maybe it's just drawing enough juice that it is over taxing the alternator.

There's my 2 cents on it, take it for what it's worth, and be sure to listen for "231 west central Missouri".

I dont care for the amps on ssb,they are fair,better than there brother...cant beat a tx star or palomar or boomer...any ab amp is better...for that much get a Ameritron al 500 and will last along time,73 de n0zna

Reactions: 1 person
I dont care for the amps on ssb,they are fair,better than there brother...cant beat a tx star or palomar or boomer...any ab amp is better...for that much get a Ameritron al 500 and will last along time,73 de n0zna

Only thing I would question there is Boomer amplifiers have never been AB, they are all cheap class C junk. The ONLY Palomars worth buying are either the older original TX line, or the newer blue face ones that are actually class AB.

I almost fell off of my chair when I read this! Can't beat a palomar or boomer.....now that's funny shit.

they are clearer on ssb,not a splatter box...

The only AB1 amps I would ever buy are Messenger and Joker but since I rarely talk ssb....I just roll back the radio's ssb output until my amp is loafing along. 100 watts on ssb is all you will ever need.

most of the time dont run a amp on ssb,just the rci2950dx or the rci2980wx or the siltronix or ft450d...about 25 to 45,and if need more run the swan 1200x...most of the time,just the radio...had a msg 10 transistor,never used it so sold it...

I used to run that TNT 600 HD amp in my truck, and I ran a S9 into mine.....
Of course it didnt drive it really well since the S9 I had wasnt the HP radio, but it did have a lot of swing ....

Talked alot of dx with it on AM as well as SSB...
Never had any problems with heat with mine, but had a few problems out of the truck where I didnt have the right power plant setup to run it..lol..
Good amp tho....

I used to run that TNT 600 HD amp in my truck, and I ran a S9 into mine.....
Of course it didnt drive it really well since the S9 I had wasnt the HP radio, but it did have a lot of swing ....

Yeah, my radio probably isn't that great of a driver eithe at only 80 watts modulation....I think the website recommends using an 80 watt carrier and no more than a 240 watt modulation to drive it....might go back to a simple 4 watt CB and run a small 2 pill amp between it and the 600....maybe it'll give me a little more ummph.

Never had any problems with heat with mine, but had a few problems out of the truck where I didnt have the right power plant setup to run it..lol..

You can say that again....gotta have an on-par set up....someone told me I should consider switching to a deep cycle battery on mine.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree guys, to say a Boomer or Palomar is better is too funny. Xforce and these budget minded TNT's perform smooth with great reports. Im gonna buy a 350 HD this Summer, of coarse i gotta save up my quarters, lol.

I have a TS 350HDV and with a 2950dx and on 10 meters I get great reports.Sometimes you hear the hams complaining about Crappy exports and amps. Clean in = clean out. I also have a fan to cool it. As of lately I have been running a RM KL-203 100 watts and also get great SSB reports. I run the RM and Radio on the same power supply and it can't be beat for the price.(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated