1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

to rf choke or not

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by 1iwilly, Sep 24, 2020.

1. bob85

bob85 Supporting Member

Slowmover, rg59 is 75ohm coax do you mean rg58 ?

Slowmover likes this.

2. guitar_199

guitar_199 Sr. Member

[​IMG]

I keep putting them on the coax, and they keep climbing down......

3. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

RG59 on a phased harness (dual antenna). Two legs combined to RG58 or similar

bob85 likes this.
  4. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

The best thing you can do is run a clean radio. No super wack pack tune ups for power no cb will ever hear.
    The amp is going to boost whatever goes in. Garbage in=LOUDER GARBAGE OUT.
    If your radio has been hacked you might need two low pass filters. One before the amp and one after and don't over drive the amp.

Robb, Dr_DX and Slowmover like this.
  5. Dr_DX

Dr_DX Well-Known Member

Correct. That is the part # that I reference in my links to Mouser and Newark. Most places will try to charge you $10/each whereas Mouser and Newark will charge you $5/each.

6. Dr_DX

Dr_DX Well-Known Member

I have attached my source too.

LOL. Bob I always like your input and expertise, but you are too rich for my blood. Your W2DU solution is a more elegant one but also a much, much, more expensive one than this Hightech Redneck can afford. With RG-393 @ $10/foot and you will need at least 3.5 feet to string 40 1 inch long beads over it. The 40 beads will run you $1.75 in bulk so $70 for them. Even without the connectors and you are at least $100 per each W2DU choke if you had to buy all the components.

My 2 FT240-31 are $10, the 5.5' of RG400 = $8 so $18 each and I will wind up with 27% more resistance (8800 vs. 6400). I will also be limited to 3 KW, which you will not.:cry::cry::cry:

Hmmm....the more I think about it, the more I realize I am pretty sure I am your long lost son. We really need to get together and discuss it....Dad. :D:D:D

Attached Files:

Eldorado828 and Slowmover like this.
  7. Dr_DX

Dr_DX Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ++++1(y)(y)(y)

8. bob85

bob85 Supporting Member

DR-DX, me rich lol

Radio rallies & helping locals with antennas & RFI that's driving them crazy is how I did it ,
    they cost me very little just my time helping people,

the RG393 is commercial patch leads with silver plated amphenol plugs from a radio rally,
    ex BBC stuff that nobody was buying & the guy did not want to take back home,

my buddy bought a dozen or so for next to nothing because we were building him a gain-master,
    he gave me a few for helping him,

the beads I removed from NOS RF transformers,

the ft-240 torroids came from a local ham who asked me to help him eliminate his RFI that was driving him nuts,

He had bought a full tray of 31mix torroids from Mauser and some larger 43 or 61mix torroids & large clampon ferrites,
    he gave me 4 of the ft-240's & a clampon,

we tested the clampons on his neighburs very noisy mains feed into the house with my yupiteru,
    i was surprised how well even the smaller clamps we tested reduced the noise on the far side of the ferrite as we slid them up and down the cable,

fiberglass spade handle isolator, radials, choke, & ferrite fixed his unfixable cmc issue,

I already had the 43mix ft-240's again bought from a radio rally £2 each.

Less than £20 in total including gas to get there ;).

Slowmover and 144inBama like this.
  9. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

You are not wrapping the coax tight enough or not using enough tape

tecnicoloco, Slowmover and Handy Andy like this.
  10. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Care and Feeding of Ferrites...or FERRETS

Boy, can't top that...

11. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Skin ‘em & Pin ‘em

12. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

Nice for lightning, no good for a RF ground.