• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Transformer mfgs.

linearone

King of NY
Apr 2, 2005
Rotten Apple Trees
www.acboxes.com
having built an amp or two I have had the need to purchase various transformers, mostly all custom, in years past. my first call was always to PW Dahl and also to MAGCAP. Since PWD is gone I have had nothing but excellent experiences with the topnotch service and parts I get from HARBACH electronics with MAGCAP transformers but I feel like it could be bit cheaper. I know I know, I say it myself, good parts aint cheap and cheap parts aint good but I remember the old days.
the days when you could get 2 amp 3500v plate transformers from pete and they were sub$500. I just got quoted $475 for a .6 amp 3500v unit from magcap. the filament transfromer (5 volts at 10.5 amps ccs was $175!!!
while I am SURE Id be happy like all the others I have bought does anyone have any other leads on manufacturers that will deal with a radio amateur on a 1 for 1 basis, with comparable quality and an affordable price?

I sent magnespec a note and never got a response.

having built an amp or two I have had the need to purchase various transformers, mostly all custom, in years past. my first call was always to PW Dahl and also to MAGCAP. Since PWD is gone I have had nothing but excellent experiences with the topnotch service and parts I get from HARBACH electronics with MAGCAP transformers but I feel like it could be bit cheaper. I know I know, I say it myself, good parts aint cheap and cheap parts aint good but I remember the old days.
the days when you could get 2 amp 3500v plate transformers from pete and they were sub$500. I just got quoted $475 for a .6 amp 3500v unit from magcap. the filament transfromer (5 volts at 10.5 amps ccs was $175!!!
while I am SURE Id be happy like all the others I have bought does anyone have any other leads on manufacturers that will deal with a radio amateur on a 1 for 1 basis, with comparable quality and an affordable price?

I sent magnespec a note and never got a response.

This is called, "The Law of Supply and Demand"

Supply is down = PWD going out of business

Demand is constant = We need X-formers custom built.

Price gougers have a FIELD DAY!

Yea or Nay?

Make some friends in the AM/FM broadcast racket.

Smaller transmitters use single phase.

I have another source but I'm not giving this one away;)

Don't discount voltage doubler supplies for tOOb linear amplifiers.

They have been written off by those who liked the older choke input supplies which were reported to give better regulation.

A choke input supply used in a plate modulated TX with a common connection to the R.F. amp had one hell of a continuous load and was able to regulate fairly well for the linear modulator section. Repurpose this design to an R.F. class B amp and it now needs more choke inductance and/or more bleeder current. Transient dynamic voltage is not very good unless the choke can be resonated. Many cannot as they can't take the circulating voltage.

Voltage doublers add a whole new world when sourcing transformers.

BTW, I have 20,000 lbs of iron at my residence. I NEVER turn down a good transformer deal because they are hard to get. My car lives outside.

Don't discount voltage doubler supplies for tOOb linear amplifiers.

They have been written off by those who liked the older choke input supplies which were reported to give better regulation.

A choke input supply used in a plate modulated TX with a common connection to the R.F. amp had one hell of a continuous load and was able to regulate fairly well for the linear modulator section. Repurpose this design to an R.F. class B amp and it now needs more choke inductance and/or more bleeder current. Transient dynamic voltage is not very good unless the choke can be resonated. Many cannot as they can't take the circulating voltage.

Voltage doublers add a whole new world when sourcing transformers.

BTW, I have 20,000 lbs of iron at my residence. I NEVER turn down a good transformer deal because they are hard to get. My car lives outside.

you are still limited by how much current is available

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated