• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Transistor (BJT/FET) manufacturer comparison

eagle1911

Jan 21, 2011
Another thread brought to mind a question I've had for some time regarding component manufacturer's reputations for quality.

With RF power transistors, there are only a few major manufacturers:

Motorola

Toshiba

SGS Thompson (ST)

TRW (not sure if they are still around)

M/A COM

RFG (seen these recently on ebay)

Possibly others.. if you know of one that I missed, pipe up!

I'm curious how people feel about each brand.. I'd prefer input from people who can describe firsthand experiences using or building with these brands rather than random opinions based on hearsay.

Who's the best? Or are they all the same? Or does it depend on what transistor you're using?

Very nice, I want to test a 8 transistor Mobile with a Large liquid cooled copper heat sink as shown on the test jig!
Let`s see, where am I going to mount the 1200 lb 48V forklift battery......
Extreme testing.

Jeff

Damn, this is indeed impressive.

watch

Jeff

Check these bad boys out (just got 'em in the mail a couple weeks ago):

2xMRF6VP11KHWEB.jpg

MRF6VP11KH, 50V, 1kW CW or Pulsed, 10:1 SWR handling (so not as rugged as the new "ruggedized" versions such as what Morse123 posed above) Class AB. They're part of the new VHV6 (very high-voltage 6th generation) FET line from Freescale (Motorola).

Even though these aren't ruggedized, they are the same as the vast majority of RF FETs in terms of mismatch handling.

I'll be starting on a 500W amp using one of these run at 28V instead of 50V very soon, once I get my current 140W project finished..

Check these bad boys out (just got 'em in the mail a couple weeks ago):

2xMRF6VP11KHWEB.jpg

MRF6VP11KH, 50V, 1kW CW or Pulsed, 10:1 SWR handling (so not as rugged as the new "ruggedized" versions such as what Morse123 posed above) Class AB. They're part of the new VHV6 (very high-voltage 6th generation) FET line from Freescale (Motorola).

Even though these aren't ruggedized, they are the same as the vast majority of RF FETs in terms of mismatch handling.

I'll be starting on a 500W amp using one of these run at 28V instead of 50V very soon, once I get my current 140W project finished..

how much did you pay for those two? keep me informed when u start project interesting :)

Actually I do a lot of work with lasers, my company primarily does large-scale laser shows for concerts/raves but we've just started prototyping some medical lasers. These were a couple extras that we ended up with after the initial prototypes were finished. Many Carbon-Dioxide lasers use high-powered RF fields to excite them into operation.. We are prototyping a new excitation scheme using these transistors. They cost us around $150 each from distributors, but these were engineering samples. It just happens that I'm into radio as well so I'm keeping these two for my own use.

Indeed, with devices such as MRFE6VP61K25H that operate up to 600MHz.
We should be talking about running a kilowatt on FRS instead of "noise toys on FRS".

Freescale and NXP are at the top.
ST, Microsemi and M/A COM are runner's up, but still good parts.
Toshiba doesn't do any RF power development any more.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.