• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

trc 465 mods

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
I have a trc 465 on cb bands, does anyone know if you can expand the channels with this radio or is it a dead duck on just cb.

Thanks

DOCTOR/CDX 795

Another way to get extras is to do a "chipswitch" mod, you can pull out the D2824 PLL and replace it with a D2816 PLL from a junk Cobra 29 if you wish.

If you do this, make sure you ground pin 20, and now you can tie pin 9 either high or low to get the extra channels. Tying pin 9 low (grounding) will get you 40 channels above channel 40, while tying pin 9 high (to PLL control voltage, I think +8V in this case) will get you 40 channels below 1.

However, you'll need to have the clarifier opened up so it will slide 5kc down, so you can get on the frequency, as doing the chipswitch will put you "inbetween" channels (i.e. 27.560 instead of 27.555).

I have done this mod with good success in the past. If you like the 40 up and 40 down this mod is great, but it really is much easier to install a Galaxy "N" kit, witch gives you +64 channels total. At worst, you may have to adjust the VCO and the tripler cans slightly to get output on all frequencies with the Galaxy kit.

-Exit

Last edited:
MODIFICATION

Thanks for the answers, will look around for the kit, or someone to do it, little shakey on the iron

DOCTOR/795

Change the cristal to move it up and retune..... No other options that I know of. Get a one forty eight cobra if you want to free band.... Why not go for your ham license, no code required and local ham clubs give classes!

Not knocking cb but haming is really fun!

Rone

PS I am looking for a small cb for our trailer so I can communicate with our travel club members. Let me know if you have an extra!:D

Re: Extra Channels

I just got finished installing a Galaxy N Kit into a TRC-465.. I must say, installation was very straightforward and I didn't run into any issues at all.

Unlike the older kits, the Galaxy N Kit uses two IC's and no crystals. After installing, you simply tune the tripler coil until your channels come in, tweak the VCO to get them all, and you're set.

You don't get the normal 40+/40- channels that you would expect, instead you end up with 40 up and then another group of upper channels.

I've been told that if you tune the tripler the other way you can get lower channels, but I didn't jack with it.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't look at how old the original post was on this thread before replying.

What would You like to know. I have mods to improve the ALC and AMC control. This gives You more SSB power and more modulation on AM, without eliminating the limiter circuits. For Better ALC range replace jumper JP-5 with a 2.2k ohm resistor. Adjust ALC pot for 12 watts. Replace R-151 and R-152 to 8.2K ohm resistors. Adjust AMC pot for 100% modulation, around 85% when just talking loud into the mic. I found this to make a real difference without going nuts and defeating the limiting circuits.This mod also works on the TRC-453 mobile rig too. Actually I did it to My 453. The TRC-465 and 453 are the same radio. The 453 has chrome and looks a little nicer. I hope this helps. 73

Verrrry nice radio; same as a Unden 122 or a Cobra 146GTL.
One inconvenience that the TRC rados have, is that they use a DIN mc plug - no biggee - though.
So what if is small, it has xlnt rx and tx . . .

that DIN plug was a big deal to me. I swapped it out for a standard 4 pin right off.
would have turned out a lot neater if it hadn't had that little circuit board attached.

receive is a bit too good. mine picks up the fuel pump quite well. even turning on the stereo ups my noise level.
still quieter than the magnum 257 though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.