• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trunked?

Info about trunked radio systems. Trunked radio system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe the term "trunked" comes from the old terms used in the telephone industry where individual lines were shared among users but one at a time,not like a party line. It is a form of resource sharing where multiple users can effectivly use a small number of radio channels and is based on the principle that not everyone will need to talk to everyone else at the same time.

I have seen the word Trunked used a lot while looking at scanners. So a scanner that is Trunked means it can listen in on stations that a non Trunked scanner can't?

A trunked scanner is able to follow the frequency changes that take place in a trunked radio system. In a trunked radio system there is a control channel that sends out data to the other radios telling them what channel to operate on etc. A trunked scanner has the ability to process that data and follow along with the talk group you are listening too. Without a trunked scanner you may hear the police on a certain frequency one minute and the water commission the next and then maybe the dog catcher the next time,all without changing frequency.

Misuse, these new digital systems manage the air time down to the fraction of a second per frequency. So like QRN said, with an old scanner stuck on one frequency in say 30 seconds you will hear police, fire, pot hole crew, dog catcher, medics all talking on a different "talk group". You need a trunked scanner to follow that talk group through the frequencys.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.